3

"Can you believe they still didn't find those savages?" Aunt Loribeth stated.

We're at brunch in Aunt Loribeth's tea room. When she uses the word savages I almost cringe in my goddam seat. The town pastor Reverend Pierson had come for morning tea. He'd been praying over Carol, making a big deal about what happened. You would think the girl was possessed by how they kept her locked in her room, anointing her every hour with holy water.

"The cops ought to question your garden boy," the good Reverend suggests.

"He says he doesn't know them," Aunt Loribeth asks turning to me almost immediately, "Did you by any chance see the garden boy with those boys August?"

She's looking at me with this weird face. Everyone looks at me. Across from where I'm sitting June Bug and Mary have gathered around. Mary is in tears over her friend. She's been like this for the two days since it's happened. You would think her friend was dead to the world by how Mary was reacting. I kind of felt bad June Bug had to comfort her as much as he's doing. Then there was Chuck. When his mother asks me the question Chuck just stares at me with this look of suspicion. It's almost as though he can see *right through me.

"No, ma'am. I was outside with Stevey."

"What were you guys doing outside?" Chuck asks.

"Does it matter?"

"Just curious, why you took that fine girl to a colored bar," Chuck asks.

There was that feeling. It was that feeling as though everyone had been thinking the same thing Chuck just asked me, what no one else had the balls to ask it. Chuck did though and when he did everyone at Brunch turns over to me. Never mind the fact that the colored house girls were refilling their drinks and probably pretending not to be bothered by the deep tinge of racism in the sunroom. They wanted answers.

"It was her idea," I state.

"That's very Northern of you."

"It's not his fault," Aunt Loribeth states, "I say something needs to be done. Look at Mary. Po' girl. She ain't eat since it happened."

"The officers will find those savages," the good Reverend states, "By God's grace they'll hang for what they did."

"No Offence, Reverend Pierson, but the police are taking too long. We'll find them, ma'am," Chuck tells his mother standing up over us, "Gathering a couple of my boys now. Having a meeting later. June Bug and August, you're more than welcome to come.

June Bug looks a little nervous, "Don't want to leave Mary..."

Chuck gives him a weird look. He doesn't believe his brother. I know June Bug. I knew he would be uncomfortable with something like this. Who did Chuck think he was? Did he think he was the law or something?

He turns to me, "What about you, August? Surely, you feel responsible for what happened to that girl. Surely you'll be a man and do something about it."

He's calling me out and once again everyone is looking at me. Once again everyone is judging me. My heart sinks into my chest. I want to say no. I want to tell Chuck to go fuck himself. This was getting way out of hand.

"I'm sure I can help out...somehow," I state.

I make it as vague as possible hoping this isn't locking me into anything. I wanted nothing to do with Chuck and his boys.

"I tell you where to start," Aunt Loribeth states out of nowhere, fanning herself as she gets worked up with the conversation, "I'd start with Stevey. He's a very popular boy. He has been in Birmingham all his life. He knows the boys. Believe you me! He knows something. I can feel it. I'm not telling you boys what to do but I'm telling you their kind usually can talk a little bit better without teeth."