6

"Morning."

I wake up and look across the room. I'm surprised to see August sitting there. He's at the window in the room of the Crawford house. This house is grand and everything in just measures up to this amazing scale. He's sitting in front of a huge window. It's a window that is unnecessarily big. The southern sun compliments him as it sways into the room lighting up this strong face of his. His lips are full like a black boy but pink like the roses in my garden. His hair was seemed to take the color of the sun, steal it. He stole nature in his eyes too. All the beautiful hues of the world were in those eyes of his. He looks at me and he steals a little part of me with his stare as well.

"Have you been here all night?" I ask.

Those eyes sink into me. He stops my heart a little every time he stares.

"On and off," he states walking closer, "How are you feeling?"

Before I know it he's real close. Too close. His hand is rubbing on my cheek. He has a loose white shirt on that clings to his muscles like a baby to a nip. It doesn't do a thing hiding any cut or definition from that perfect body of his. I let him touch my face but I look at his hands as though they are a strange and alien thing. His skin color is smooth and clear. It reminds me of the inside of an almond.

"Good."

"You're warm. Sorry, am I being too rough?"

"I prefer it a rougher tough."

He blushes when I say that. That's the thing about white boys. You can always tell when they blush. But that's also the thing about August. He's far too gentle. His hands are far too soft. He's touching me now and it feels as though he's touching a baby. I didn't like it.

Then he says the worse thing ever, "You're just so fragile right now..."

Fragile.

I roll my eyes. I know he catches it. The idea that he thinks I'm fragile irritates me. Chuck would never call me fragile. Chuck knew what I liked.

"I should go."

"Did I say something wrong?"

"No. Not at all. Just...I should go. I should take some medicine and get to work."

"The doctor called, said the medicine he gave you was no good."

"Did he?"

Weird.

August nods, "Yes. And it's not worth it to work today in the garden. Matter of fact I made some calls this morning. There's an old library on Main street. You know it?"

"Oh yeah, I been there a few times. What about it?"

"They looking for a landscaper. I called, let them know what a good job you did. They are willing to have you come down. I'm sure they pay just as good."

The word of a Crawford went far in Birmingham, even if it's a Crawford that wasn't from Birmingham. Looking at August, I didn't quite understand why he would go out of his way to find me another job though.

"You don't want me around no more?"

He looks at me with this worried look, "No...of course not. That's not what it is at all. Of course, I want you around."

"Then what's the problem?"

"Your character confuses me," August states, "Sometimes I'm unsure how to protect you. If someone meant you harm, would you want to know? Would you want me to tell you?"

He has a heaviness to him. He's holding a secret. Knowing August I could only come to one conclusion. He was talking about Chuck. He didn't know the history of Chuck and I, however. Talking to Chuck's cousin about our relationship right now definitely wasn't going to work. I think about how hurt I still am about Chuck and the truth was I don't think I could handle anything else.