INTRO: The Most Beautiful Moment In Life

15 March 2048

"Mom?" Jihoon's voice echoed through the small hallway that fed into the living room of his childhood home. The door closed behind him with an audible click. He took a few steps forward before he heard his mother's voice from further inside.

Her words were spoken softly even though she was raising her voice. "Vincent, is that you?"

Jihoon cringed at his English name. He never identified with it, just as Violet never identified with her Korean name, Jiyeon. "Yeah!" He walked into the foyer to see his mother and sister sitting across from each other on the couches, two teacups between them.

"Hi, honey." His mother smiled, still beautiful in old age despite the wrinkles that bunched at her eyes.

Jihoon made his way over to her and kissed her on the cheek. "Mom...how are you feeling?"

"I've been better, but your father always looked at the bright side of things." A sad laugh left her while she squeezed her son's hand before letting go. "Don't worry about me, dear. Your father is always with me."

He walked around the table to kiss his sister on the cheek before sitting beside her. Violet was staring down at her lap and playing with her fingers. She and their father were always close and he would always know exactly how to cheer her up when she was sad. If only he were there to help her. Irony.

"Would you like some tea?" their mother asked to break the silence.

Jihoon only shook his head. "I'm okay. My stomach doesn't feel too well."

She sighed and smoothed her dress. "Your father had a lot of things in the attic. You're welcome to look through them and take whatever you think would make you feel closer to him."

"Really?" Violet now stared at her with wide-eyes, as if it were too good to be true. Jihoon was a bit surprised, too, but he wasn't sure how to feel.

Their mother nodded and gave them a smile, though they both knew that it was forced. Their entire lives consisted of a loving and stable home headed by their parents, who loved each other and their children so much. It wasn't often that they heard details about the love story of how the two met, but according to their mother, she "fell in love with the moon, the stars, and the boy with chocolate brown eyes". Dad would always smile and kiss her on the cheek when she said that. Both Jihoon and Violet wanted a love like that growing up.

"Go on, now," she said suddenly, sounding more tired than ever. "The attic door is unlocked."

The kids always wondered why the door to the attic was locked. There was never a time when it wasn't locked. It was almost as if their parents had secrets hidden there. Their father was always the one to insist they never went up there. It became somewhat of a game for them when they were little. They would make up crazy stories about a leprechaun or a unicorn hidden there. The game stopped when Jihoon was thirteen and Violet was eleven. She still wanted to play, but he was entering the difficult, depressed stage of teen-hood. He suggested that their father was having an affair and the woman was in the attic.

Violet cried when he said that, so they decided never to play again.

Now that they were actually allowed in there, both of their imaginations blew up. Yes, they were adults well into their twenties, but the kid inside of them was woken by the mystery of the attic. What actually was inside was much less exciting than Bon Jovi or Uncle Yoongi's will to live. There were a bunch of opened cardboard boxes covered in a blanket of dust. Some held books, some held collectible figures that Jihoon would have killed or died for when he was twelve.

"This is it?" Jihoon muttered, a bit disappointed. "Some old books and dolls?"

Violet snickered a bit while crouching down to examine some of the books in one box. "I recall a certain boy playing with dolls until he was fifteen..."

"Don't kink-shame me."

The two of them laughed, relieved to break the tension that had been following them both around since the news came of their father's death.

She pulled the books out one by one. "Please Look After Mom, I'll Be Right There, Our Twisted Hero..." She read the titles allowed. One particular title made her giggle before she turned to her older brother and wiggled her eyebrows. "Human Acts: A Novel." He just shook his head with a small laugh as she continued taking books out.

Then she tilted her head in confusion.

At the bottom of the box were two books that seemed more like novellas from the length. They were solid blue and green with golden leaves, respectively. The two had no title. Even when she took them out and examined the front and back of both books, there was nothing written. "That's strange..."

Curiosity got the better of her and she opened the blue one. On the inside of the first page read

 PARK JIMIN'S STUPID ASS DIARY(courtesy of Namjoon-hyung)

The words 'stupid ass' were crossed out with a sloppy line of a pencil.

She gasped and grabbed Jihoon's wrist as walked past her toward a shelf of fine china. "Ji, look at this!"

"What?" he asked uninterestedly, gaze still fixed on the wooden shelf just across the room.

Violet tugged on him so he could sit with her, but he only bent down ungracefully, certainly inconvenienced. "It's dad's diary!"

"Shut the fuck up," he muttered, suddenly enamored by the book in her hands.

She dropped the diary and picked up the green book with golden leaves. "So this must be mom's!" Sure enough, the first page was decorated nicely with the words Victoria Song's Feelings Journal in pretty writing.

"No way," he mumbled, his head beginning to whirl. Since when had their parents ever kept diaries.

Violet turned a few pages and looked up at him. "Seriously!" She turned back to the paper. "Listen to this. Dear diary, I physically assaulted my boss today—"

"Yep, that's definitely mom." Jihoon grabbed the journal from her and closed it. "We shouldn't be looking through their stuff, Vi."

"But dad's journal said courtesy of Namjoon-hyung! That means Uncle Namjoon got him that journal! I'll bet you fifty thousand American dollars that he bought some for the others, too."

Jihoon furrowed his eyebrows and stood up straight. He was deep in thought. Did he really want to know about the drama that occurred in his parent's and their friend's lives when they were young?

Yes. Yes, he did.

"I'll call Seokmin," he said in an instant. "Call Jaehee. Now."

Violet nodded before pulling her phone out of her pocket and dialing her friend's number. Within minutes, the two had managed to contact each one of their friends and request that they search for their parent's diaries. They were to contact Violet or Jihoon as soon as it was found.

Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought him back.