Lie

15 March 2048

As soon as Jaehee got the call from Violet, she was a bit skeptical. The thought that her calm and collected father would ever keep a diary to write down his feelings was a foreign concept. She wasn't sure he even had feelings most of the time. While her father was a sweet man, it was only her who ever saw that side. He wasn't even sweet to her mother. He often dismissed her or ignored her when she was home. Jaehee knew that her father loved her, though. That was all she needed.

She had to finish up her work at the office before she could pay a visit to her old man, as she was very busy those days. Her boss was also her friend, or at least they were in the same group of friends. She really didn't care for him and the feeling was mutual. She was just his assistant. End of story.

Her father didn't hear her come in, which was apparent by the continuous sound of piano keys being played. The tone was haunting and unfamiliar to her. He always played jovial tunes for her growing up.

"Dad?"

His playing ceased immediately as Jaehee neared his back that was hunched over the piano. He turned around to face her, face immediately lighting up into that gummy smile she knew so well. Her father was always her inspiration. He was her best friend.

"Jaehee. What makes you stop by so late at night?"

She looked out the window in front of the piano to see the darkened sky littered with heavy clouds that promised rain. "I just wanted to check for something in my old room. Is mom home?"

"Nope." His answer was quick and fleeting, as they always were when she spoke of her mother.

"Then I'll just be right back."

He smiled at her once more before turning back to the piano. "I'll be here, sweetheart."

Doubt still lingered in the back of her mind as she trudged up the stairs to go into her parent's bedroom. There was no way he kept a diary. Yet she found herself rummaging through everything. Everything in the closet, on the shelves. Then she checked under the bed. In a bright orange shoe box were a lot of items. Among them being a plain white lighter, an unopened letter to him, an old plane ticket to Hawaii—and a solid black notebook.

For reasons she couldn't find, her heart began to beat at an alarmingly fast rate. Violet couldn't have been right. It was probably a poem book or some aesthetic Tumblr-esque bullshit book. But then Jaehee opened it. On the inside was the word 'Journal' written sloppily. Underneath it was 'by Min Yoongi, genius and great man' in smaller writing.

She snorted. Her father was always goofy with her when growing up, but by the way he acted around everyone else, she never would have guessed that he was like that when he was young. But dammit, Violet and Jihoon were right. Her father had a diary.

One quick glance at the shoe box once more led her to see that underneath that notebook was another one. Though, instead of black, it was white. She wondered silently if it was her mother's, though she knew her parents didn't know each other when they were younger.

She grabbed it and opened it up slowly. On the inside was 'Jung Hoseok's Diary :)'. Her brows wrinkled as she stared at it. Thinking she read it wrong, she adjusted her glasses. No—it definitely said Jung Hoseok. "Who's Jung Hoseok?" she wondered aloud.

Jaehee had never heard the name from her father or his friends, nor from her mother. She had to find out who it was.

Cautiously, she stuffed the journals into her bag and placed the rest of the items back in the shoebox before sliding it under the bed again. The piano's melody continued to float up the stairs as she descended them. "Dad," she called as she crossed the floor to reach him.

"What is it, sweetheart?"

"Who's Jung Hoseok?"

The smile immediately fell from her father's face. He stared at her with cold eyes she had only seen him give to others. "How do you know that name?" he asked quietly.

"I...I just—"

"Min Jaehee, how do you know that name?" he asked again, harder this time.

Jaehee felt small under his stare and she shuffled her feet uncomfortably. "Oh—well, I—"

"Speak up."

"I heard Aunt Victoria talking about him, that's all." The lie slipped out so easily that she almost believed herself for a moment. "So I was just wondering if you knew him, too."

Her father turned away from her with a gruff sigh. "I don't know him."

"But—"

"Is there anything else you have to say to me?"

Jaehee stood still for a moment. Why was he lying? He clearly knew this Hoseok, but why didn't he want to talk about it? "No..."

"Then go."

Without another word, he began playing the piano again, almost banging on the keys so that nothing could be heard but the echoing of instrument abuse. More confused than ever, Jaehee left with more questions than she walked in with. Who was Jung Hoseok?

And why did his name affect her father so much?