13

The sun is blaring in my eyes as I slowly wake up. The first thing I notice is that I'm alone and Marcus's bags are missing already. I quickly grab my phone and call him. It goes straight to voicemail, meaning he is on his plane. I can't believe he left without me, and without waking me up and saying goodbye at the least. I still don't know what it's like waking up next to him.

I lay back down and put a pillow over my face and scream out of frustration and sadness. When I feel satisfied with all of the profanity I've yelled at my pillow, I get up to shower in order to refresh myself. I refuse to lay in bed all day and sulk, even though I'd rather do nothing more.

When I get to the bathroom, I see a sheet of paper stuck to the mirror. It's a note Marcus must have left me when he got up this morning.

Peyton-

I know you're probably very upset with me for leaving without taking you to the airport with me, but I just didn't have it in me to wake you up and actually say goodbye. I knew the second that you would hug me or kiss me, I wouldn't be able to leave. While it would be amazing to stay in Chicago with you, I made a commitment to my team, and I can't let them down. Hopefully I haven't let you down in the process.

You've been a light in my life this week, and you made me remember what it felt like to feel joyful again. While happiness comes by time to time, joy is much different. Joy is a choice. Joy is the mindset that I'm going to live my life without doubt and without fear. Thanks to you, I will find joy in every moment, even the sad ones. While I'll be crying my eyes out in England because you're still here, I'll have joy in my heart knowing that you're coming to see me in 2 weeks time. Thank you for bringing me joy.

See you soon,

Marcus

My eyes well up as I read his short but loving note. Marcus has brought more joy to my life in a few days than I've had in years. I am so lucky to have someone like him, and I can't wait to see him again.

I literally can't wait.

As in I'm heading to the airport now.

Like right now.

I'd be damned if I let the source of joy in my life fly halfway around the world without truly knowing exactly what he means to me.