Chapter 17

Chapter 17: Two Lovers in the Dark

{Harry's POV}

I was scared. No- terrified.

She stared at me, waiting for me to say something, anything. I didn’t even know where to begin.

I had to think of something quick to convince her that what Zayn had told her was a lie. I couldn't tell her that he was right. I couldn't tell her that I did love her, that I was jealous. Jealously couldn't even begin to describe it all. It was more of envy. I envied to have a relationship with her. I wanted her, I needed her, and I loved her.

"Harry?"

I looked at her, meeting her eyes. She and Louis had the same hazel eyes, except hers were more of a light brown-green than her brother's blue-green. They were mesmerizing. Captivatingly beautiful if you ask me.

"Harry?"

I liked- no, I loved the way she said my name. The way it rolled off her tongue. Nobody said my name like her.

"Harry!"

"Yes?" I answered calmly, trying my best not to sound nervous.

She closed her eyes and sighed. Seconds later, she looked at me again. "Talk!"

"Oh, right," I said, nodding my head. I pushed my curls back as she sat on the toilet seat. She waved her hands, signaling for me to move on.

I cleared my throat. “Does he really think that- that I love you?”

She nodded. “Yeah, he does. But I told him that it was impossible because you’re dating Kayla and you seem to really like her.”

I forced my smile and she noticed. Yeah, impossible. Only one thing was impossible.

“What’s wrong?” she asked.

I shook my head. “Nothing, nothing.” I sank to sit on the cold tiled floor, leaning my back against the door, knees up to my chest. I took a deep breath and then looked at her. “Do you believe him?”

I decided in that moment if she said yes, I would tell her how I really feel and if she said no, I would continue putting on the act I have been doing for the past year and a half. I’ll tell her the truth eventually, but not now. Well, if she said yes.

"Should I believe him?" she countered. I will take that as a no.

I shook my head again. "It's not true, I promise."

Well, it wasn't. I wasn't jealous; I was envious. I didn't love her; I was in love with her. Massively different.

She nodded. "So, I won't believe him."

"Good," I said. "But, if you want advice on how to handle it, I could help," I offered.

Why I was offering to help her with her problems with her boyfriend was beyond me. I don't know why or what the hell was going through my head, but I felt like I had to help her. Because if it wasn't for me, we wouldn't be in this mess. This was all my fault. I did this to myself and now I have to try to fix it, all by myself.

She looked at me intently, as if she was trying figure something out. “What do you suggest?” She finally asked.

I shrugged, playing with the rips in my jeans. “Well, he probably is jealous because you’re not always with him. So, just show him that you really do care and that you really want to be with him.”

I didn’t want to look at her; I couldn’t bring myself to do so. My heart was screaming in my chest to tell her the truth. Why did I do this? Why did I cheat on my fake girlfriend?