13

Night two of the festival was accompanied with music and dancing. Ophelia picked out the kimono she bought from Grandmother, and she was determined to use the hair stick despite her bad hair day.

She had gathered up materials for her grandparents and managed to fall in a puddle beside a nearby pond, matting her hair up with muck and sticks. She had managed to wash most of it out before her bath, but she had no choice but to wash again. She had washed in a separate container of water so not to muddy up the bath water and poured sweet-smelling oils into the bath to try and eradicate the stench of the pond. Now neck deep in bubbles, she dreaded the moment she had to brush out her hair.

"Ophelia?"

"Bathtub," she called lazily, her eyes closed as she breathed in the sweet smell of honey and lavender.

"Do you know where the— What is that smell?!"

She furrowed her brows and scrunched her nose. "It's scented oil. Leave me be," she told him.

"Yes," Tomoe said, covering his nose, "but the smell is so strong! How much did you put in?"

"Enough to make sure I don't smell like a fish," she grumbled, opening her eyes. "If you don't like it then leave. I'm trying to relax."

He raised an eyebrow slightly and huffed, walking over to the edge of the tub. He was met with a somewhat icy glare. "What happened this time?" he asked in exasperation.

"I fell in some mud," she told him, turning her face away from him. "That's all."

He sighed heavily and picked up a piece of discarded cloth from a kimono Grandmother had finished. He tied it around his face so not to breathe in so many fumes and pulled up a chair behind her head. He picked up a brush and began untangling the knots in her hair. "Did you get your hair dirty in the process too?"

"I did..." she grumbled, staring at the bubbles.

"And why are you in such a foul mood over it?" he asked. "Surely a little mud will not ruin your whole evening."

She looked back at him. "A lady must always put hard work and thought into her appearance if she wants to look her best to others," she scolded him.

"Are you trying to attract someone then?" he asked, a dark aura around him.

She frowned. "No." She crossed her arms over her chest and sunk into the bubbles more. "I just want to look nice tonight. It's the second night of the festival."

He narrowed his eyes, not really believing her. "What is so special about tonight that you would need to look your best?" he inquired. "Are you sure there is not some town boy here that wants to run off with you so that you do not have to be married to a youkai?"

She groaned in annoyance. "Tomoe, I really don't need this right now..." she mumbled, covering her face. "If you're just going to act like a jealous bully then go somewhere else."

He yanked her hair back, causing her to yelp in surprise and pain. She hugged herself and looked back at Tomoe, fear in her eyes as the demon loomed over her. "Are you or are you not seeing someone else in this town?" he asked darkly.

She trembled. "I-I'm not... I swear it..." she whispered, tears in her eyes. She cried out when he threw her head aside.

"Good," he spat, standing up and walking out of the room. He ducked beneath a curtain that served as a doorway and made his way outside.

Ophelia breathed heavily, shaking like a leaf. She hugged her knees and began to cry. 'What's wrong with me?...' she thought. 'Why did I think he was changing?'