2

The morning came with the smell of porridge and warm tea. The light from the windows was soft and gentle, like the sunrises Ophelia used to experience as a little girl. Birds chirped outside, and the sound of someone raking leaves filled her ears. She sat up slowly and dressed in a robe, brushing out her hair in time with the bird calls. Once presentable, she stole away from her room to investigate the sounds and smells.

In the kitchen was breakfast, laid out and still hot. There was a note on the table, but she ignored it for the time being, stepping to the front porch.

The shrine's yard was well kept. The grass was plucked of weeds, the flowers were pruned, the branches of trees were trimmed, and the leaves from cut branches were neatly piled up. Ophelia walked over to a cherry blossom tree and stood beneath its shade, staring up at the petals that danced elegantly in the wind.

"Spring..." she whispered.

"You are awake," a familiar voice said behind her. "Did you sleep well?"

Ophelia turned her face farther from his view and kept her eyes on the cherry blossoms. She refused to answer him.

A gentle hand ran slowly across her back and rested on her hip. She shuddered, tensing.

"The cherry blossoms look their best this time of year," Tomoe explained, staring at the flowers nostalgically. "But even this beauty will not last forever. Like a phoenix, this tree will lose its petals and leaves and become barren until the next dawn of spring." He ran his fingers through Ophelia's hair and lifted it to his lips, kissing the strands softly. "We will be able to watch this transformation together."

Ophelia turned away. "I have no intention of doing anything with you," she snapped stubbornly, keeping her eyes trained on the floor.

Tomoe went still, letting her hair fall from his fingers. He chuckled. "Now, that is no way to speak to your husband," he purred, taking hold of her shoulders and forcing her to face him. He leaned to her ear, placing kisses on her cheek. "Speak a little kinder."

Ophelia teared up, holding onto his robe to keep him from coming closer. "Die..." she whispered, gritting her teeth to keep from crying.

There was a scoff.

"Maybe one day you will learn some respect," he spat, shoving her away and walking toward the shrine.

Ophelia stared ahead and trembled, falling on her knees and grabbing her head. She began to cry, biting her lip hard enough that it began to bleed. She opened her burning eyes and looked up, hearing her name being called softly.

"K-Kotetsu... Onikiri..." she whispered.

"Master Tomoe has a short temper..." Kotetsu began, lifting his head. "But he does care for you, Lady Ophelia."

Ophelia rubbed her tears away with the heel of her palm. "He has a funny way of showing it," she hissed, looking at the shrine angrily. She slowly collapsed again, hanging her head and sobbing. Tears dripped slowly from her red cheeks onto the dirt. She felt the hands of the shrine spirits comfort her.

"Please do not cry, Lady Ophelia," Kotetsu coaxed.

"Master Tomoe will come around," Onikiri added. "He is truly a good fox when it comes to those he cares for."

She looked at the spirits and back at the shrine. Her heart felt heavy and dead, barely beating in her chest. She sighed distantly, her breaths leaving her lips in shaky waves.

"Ophelia?" came Tomoe's voice. "If you do not eat soon, your food will become cold."

"You must go," Onikiri pleaded, taking her hand. "Sustenance is necessary for your human body."