The Maiden Voyage

CHAPTER 1: MAIDEN VOYAGE

April 10, 1912

NARRATOR – P.O.V.

The weather is overcast but the sun is peeking above the beautiful skyline of Southampton. The trains arrived from different places around England. The pier is full of people, from wealthy to the poorest people. The third class passengers are having health inspection. The First and Second Class arrive to the pier and start to enter on this magnificent ship.

ABIGAIL – P.O.V.

It was 11:30 A.M. when we arrived on the pier. The place was so crowded. I was a bit nervous but still excited. I wore my yellow lace dress with a matching feathered hat. I took a glance outside the window, and I saw the gigantic ship painted in black and white with its golden yellow stripe, and of course, the ship’s four massive funnels painted in golden yellow also. The car stopped and was engulfed by people. As we went out of the car, Grandmother was stunned on what she saw. “This is massive”, “Abigail, keep your elegance onboard. Don’t make any trouble, okay? Be an elegant woman.” Grandmother advised. “I’ll miss my princess.” Grandfather embraced me. “Don’t worry grandpa. I’ll be back.” I replied. I embraced them for the last time before heading inside.

The porter handed our things and carried it into our stateroom. Our personal maid, Lucy Lewis would also going aboard with us. She was 24 years old, and she was a friend of mine. Her brother and his fiancée and her lover were also aboard but in third class.

As we walked into the gangway, grandpa shouted “Bon Voyage, My dear!” My eyes were tearful. I waved at him, and then enter to the ship. We entered at the D- deck gangway door. As I enter, the officers took our ticket, and greeted, “Welcome to Titanic.” Upon to my entrance, I saw the beautiful reception room and adjacent to it is the First Class Dining Room. I also saw the voluptuous Grand Staircase. Everything was so elegant, majestic and classy. In addition, there were approximately dozens of gilded crystal chandeliers you will see upon your entrance. You could really smell the fresh painted walls.  On D – deck, there was a candelabra at the landing of the staircase. We went to our cabin in D- 15 on the starboard side of D- deck. We used to choose C- 69 but it was already occupied. I knew that the ship wasn’t fully occupied but I‘m contented in my cabin. As I open the door, I saw an elegant room painted with white oak paneling and a ceiling fan above. It was a bit plain with no decors unlike those rooms on B – deck amidships but thanks to the elegant beds and a dresser and this electric heater. The room was freshly painted that even the walls were still wet, and the odor is somehow annoying but thanks to these flowers on the vase. Lucy placed my luggage to the closet and arranged my clothes. She also has her own stateroom, which was located at D- 7, near to our cabin. 

Finally, the ship started to glide on the sea. After we took the luggage into our stateroom, we went up to the promenade deck to say our last goodbye. The other passengers were also there. We saw our grandparents waving. I waved back. The whistle blew meaning that the ship was about to sail. Then someone shouted, “I’ll Miss you Abigail!" William was there and he was panting. "I'll miss you too! I am still your best friend okay! BYE!" I shouted. As the ship glides forward out to the sea, the pier slowly disappeared from the view of the promenade deck. We went down to the Purser’s Office for Ticket Processing and a general introduction of the Ship.

It’s almost 7:00 P.M when the Titanic arrived at Cherbourg to embark and disembark some passengers. The people onboard were eating at the First Class Dining Room. Lucy, Kelly and I were eating at the -French Themed- A la Carte Restaurant located at the Aft of B- deck adjacent to the Cafe Parisian. We were about to enter when the steward stopped us and said,

“ I’m sorry miss but this lady isn’t allowed to eat here.” Pointing to Lucy.

“Why? She is with me though,” I said.

“But Miss, this is for passengers only. I am sorry. Maids would eat on the Maids and Valet Saloon on C- deck beside the Aft Staircase,” The steward said.

“Alright. Let’s go Lucy.” We went back to my stateroom.

We went back to my stateroom to pick some clothes. I got five dresses and gave it to Lucy. “ What is this Miss Abigail?” She surprisingly said. “I’ll give it to you. Since you are a first class passenger, you need elegant clothes to wear so that you’re not to be known as an ordinary maid. Okay? Wear those clothes every time you go to any of the First Class Facilities.” I said. Then a drop of tears came to her face. “ Why are you crying?”

“I’m very thankful to you Miss Abigail. I Promise. I’ll be forever loyal to you.” She said.

“Hahaha. Stop crying. Wear that so that we can eat supper.” I laughed. Then we went back to the restaurant.

We entered this luxurious restaurant. After we ordered, Lucy and I had a small conversation.

“It’s so embarrassing that I’ll eat with you here in this great restaurant." She said.

“What’s embarrassing about that? We treat you like our sister, okay. In addition, you did not board this ship as a maid or valet. You board this ship handling a first class ticket. You should be proud of it." I explained. 

NARRATOR P.O.V.

The ship now arrived at Cherbourg, France. She picked up some notable passengers including Mrs. Margaret Brown, who later nicknamed as the “Unsinkable Molly Brown”, The Wealthiest man on the ship, Colonel John Jacob Astor and his 18-year-old pregnant wife Madeleine Astor, another wealthy businessman, Benjamin Guggenheim and his French mistress Madame Aubart, there also the wealthy couple, Sir Cosmo and Lucile, Lady Duff -Gordon.