Chapter 10

Gaile

If I thought I felt drained and sick it wasn't until today when I ran a fever of 101. Mom was so worried she was debating weather to take me to the hospital or not. I told her she had nothing to worry about so now I lay in my bed, too sick to do anything.

Running a fever could mean 1 of 2 things:

Wearing that sweater has overheated my body or I'm getting a common cold and if that's the case my immune system was getting weaker than it already was.

I was that kid who caught the flu first and then gave it to everyone else in the house. But I've never felt this sick before, not this bad.

I could feel my head pulsating and my fever feeling worse as I try to sit up; Everything ached. It was like I ran a whole marathon in 100 degree weather and even though I was in the coolness of the A/C I was still sweating, I was still hot, I was still tired.

"How are you feeling?"

I look up to see my mom with a big bowl of soup on a 'breakfast in bed' tray, "Good."

She puts the soup in front of me the smell causing my stomach to growl; unintentionally. The chicken chunks floating around with the little pieces of cilantro and carrots that sunk to the bottom and the small dumplings that i could see through the almost clear soup.

"Does this follow my diet plan? I'm sure there's a lot of things in here that I shouldn't be eating."

My mother frowns, "screw the diet plan today, my baby is sick."

I look at the soup again my eyebrows scrunching together, "my stomach still hurts a little, maybe I'll eat it later."

She bites her bottom lip, "okay, I'll be down stairs. Just make sure you eat."

I nod my head echoing the word 'eat' back and forth off the walls of my brain. I wasn't hungry, so why should I?

I lay my head down to rest on my pillow and fall asleep again, my head still hurting and my fever temperature only seeming to rise.

Lucas

I walk the halls not seeing Gaile anywhere. I regret not asking for her number to call up on her and see if she's going to be here today. I still needed to ask her about joining the schools stage crew.

Walking to my homeroom alone, I look around for my friends not seeing them anywhere. I wrap my arms around myself awkwardly realizing that I'm really alone.

I take out my phone calling Erica, "hey, where are you guys?"

She laughs off the phone microphone on the other line before replying, "say that again?"

I sigh frustrated with her, "I asked where you all were, I didn't see you guys this morning."

She says something muffling the phones microphone and then she speaks, "we skipped today."

I roll my eyes before combing my fingers through my hair frustrated, "and you guys didn't invite me because?"

She sighs, "we didn't think you'd want to come?" She answers in more of a question making me feel as if she doesn't understand my distress.

"Well you don't know that!"

"Hey! Don't kill the messenger, I'm only telling you what Phil told me."

"Whatever, I'll see you guys later I guess."

"Alright, Bye. Hey Phil—"

I trace my hand down my face in frustration as I feel my throat burn. I walk to the bathroom my eyes watering up, "Hey, Dina! Um—I," I bite my lip my chest aching and my breathing quickening in pace, "I don't feel well do you mind covering for me today when they call I—" I wipe at my falling tears, "I feel so alone."

Dina sighs over the phone, "Come home, and I'll make your favorite, and I'll even buy those popsicles you like. We can have D-alucas time, how does that sound?"

I smile letting out a chuckle, "you're always there for me Dina."

"You're my baby Lucas, I can't stand hearing you so sad."

"You don't even know how much relief I feel knowing that you're around Dina, you're the best nanny a boy could ask for."

"I'll see you soon Lucas, and don't forget to show the world your beautiful smile, alright?"

"Okay, Bye Dina."

"Bye Lucas."

I hang up the phone my breathing still shaken and a bit wavered, but calmer. I lean my head against the bathroom wall letting out a sigh.

I mentally curse my friends and girlfriend who only seem to drift farther from me daily. I'm loosing my friends, and faster than I had thought; sooner than I had hoped.