Inquisitive

There had been a tension surrounded you and Data ever since you'd touched his shoulder on the bridge. He hadn't become unfriendly; rather, pensive, speculative, silent and thoughtful. Every time you'd attempted to bring up a conversation topic, it would only elicit a noncommittal nod, and a slight hum if you were lucky. Your confusion turned to amusement and hopefulness as you began to wonder if he was growing affectionate towards you. You desperately tried to ground yourself, reminding yourself that he had very recently acquired emotions, and that there was only a slight chance that he felt towards you the way you felt about him; and yet, you never managed to quite kill that hope.

After you and Data were dismissed from the bridge, it was evening. He'd returned to your quarters, but you had decided that whatever was going on with him, he should have some time to reflect in private, and you went across the hall to your classroom to get some grading done.

A few hours passed, and the growing curiosity of Data's condition began to take its toll; no longer able to resist, you stood, hurrying across the hall, through your office, and into your quarters.

Upon opening the door, the first thing you saw was Spot, in Data's arms, gazing lovingly up at her owner as Data refilled her food bowl. You smiled at the scene, watching Data stroke Spot's ears softly as he set her down. "Pretty cat," he murmured to her, stroking her fur as she wolfed down her food. You cleared your throat, announcing your presence.

Seemingly embarrassed, Data turned and saw you, closing his eyes briefly and sighing as if to recollect his dignity. You giggled, realizing that embarrassed Data was even cuter than confused Data. "Hi," you said amidst your laughter.

"Hello, y/n." Data's gaze fell to the book in your hands. "Is this novel another annotation project?"

"Oh- no, Data, it isn't." You sat on the couch and motioned for him to sit beside you. "This is a Western novel. They were popular in the early twentieth century. This one is by Zane Grey."

"Accessing." Data tilted his head to the side; it was no less adorable than it had ever been. "Ah. One of the most popular Western authors of the twentieth century, Zane Grey published over-"

"I'd like you to read this," you interrupted him, offering the book to him. You'd chosen The Lone Ranger because you thought that Grey had done a masterful job of capturing human nature on paper, and you thought that it would be beneficial for Data's research. Data accepted the book, gazing at the cover and running his fingers over the binding material.

"Thank you, y/n," he said sincerely, looking up at you.

You smiled. "You're welcome," you said softly, rising to make yourself a cup of tea. Data turned to gaze out the window, evidently lost in thought.

"Y/n?" he said finally. "Humankind has romanticized stars for millennia. Now, being emotionally able to comprehend aesthetic value, I understand why. I found myself opening the curtains as soon as I returned to our quarters."

You glanced over at him- his eyes were focused on you now, and you couldn't help but think how... how pretty he was. His features, seemingly emotionless, now had a hidden tinge of feeling to them. His eyes sparkled a little more, his lips were a little curved as opposed to their previous hard, straight line, and his eyebrows, previously raised in inquiry, were sometimes furrowed by anger. Not at that moment, though; his gaze was peaceful, content, and he was more attractive than you had ever imagined a man- or android- could be.

"Yes," you said, almost on auto-pilot, as your mind dwelled on more interesting things. "Yes, stars are- are commonly featured in literature as symbols of holiness, or love, or even peace..." you continued speaking, but you barely knew what you were saying. All you knew was that you were reciting a lecture that you had given a few years ago, and Data was standing up, and walking over to the window, and he looked so pensive as he gazed out, and he had taken on that authoritative conduct that you found so damn hot-