3. My Dark Knight (Roman)

I've been sitting here for hours.
A familiar hoody draped across my red stained tunic.

Oh, Patton.

A tear slowly makes its way down my cheek pooling on my chin along side the others. Memories flash through me.

The blood.

The mess.

Patton's lifeless body laying there.

Me; helpless, alone, screaming for help.

Him, appearing like a glowing knight.

Virgil becoming a sack of grain.

The thud his head made when it met the floor.

My futile attempt to catch him when he screamed my name.

I was so useless. Virgil. I'm sorry! My hand tenses as his grip loosens again. The black stains that cover the back of his wrists merging with the numerous other substances that don my drained body.

"Virgil, come back to me." Sliding forward in my chair, I wrap both my hands around his and press them into my chin. "I can't lose you too."

He's so cold.

Tears fall freely from my strained eyes. Oh! Patton's room must still be taking effect. Right?

Sweeping my gaze across his motionless body, I notice a bruise has formed on his forehead, presumably from clipping the dirk I had tied at my knee as he fell. Brushing my hand along the blade, I feel a similar bruise on the solid muscle above my knee.

Still holding Virgil's hand in my own, I brush his soft bangs away from his beautiful eyes and tuck Linda in her rightful place. A warm hand meets my shoulder startling me from subconscious thought.

"How's he doing?" A not-so-empathetic Logan spoke from behind me.

"Well, he's still unconscious, so how do you think?" I slam my fist into my lips trapping any sobs inside. My voice breaking on all vowels as I try not to burst into tears again.

"Well, if you look at it statistically he has a ninety two percent chance of waking up." He walks over to the still incognizant Virgil and places the dorsal side of his hand against his black smeared skin. "I would say that he has an eighty six percent chance of waking up in the next five seconds and I am never wrong. Three... Two..."

I squeeze his hand even tighter sending the blood from his and my finger tips to our toes. My glorious toosh slowly sliding forward until I am no longer seated but kneeling at Virgil's bedside.

"One."

I stare at my dark knight.

Nothing.

"Really, Logan. Now? Of all times for your logistics to go berserk? It had to be now?! You Jerk!" I stand up quicker than I can draw a sword, sending the chair flying backwards.

"Calm down you Royal Sod." A sarcastic voice croaked.

"How dare you insu..." I snap my head to the sound only to realise that it's him. He's awake. My beautiful damsel is awake! "Virgil! Oh my goodness!" I throw myself into him and wrap my arms so tightly around him I'm sure I could have suffocated a dragon.

"Roman, what are you doing? Get off." Despite his pleading I remain. "Roman. Get off me. You're choking me. Roman?"
I loosen my grip but only slightly before Virgil sounds a soft grunt of submission and hugs me back.

He's safe at last. "You're okay now, I am here. No harm shall come to thee so long as I am King of this realm."

"Ahh, Roman?"

"Mmm?" I lean back slightly to look Virgil straight on. His darkened, tired eyes and half closed lids tell me all I needed to hear.

"You're a Prince..." Naw, Shoot.

"Ah, yes. I knew that."

"You idiot. Come here." He grabs me by the shoulders and pulls me back into a tight embrace.

Everything will be okay.

"Ahh. Hate to break up this scene here, but we have to tell Thomas about Patton. It's the only logical thing to do in this situation."

Ding dang dagnabbit! What are we going to do?!