Chapter 20.

By the time I get to the school, the rain falls with less intensity. The parking lot is almost full, but I'm lucky to find a place at the end of the lot.

I hurry inside, so that the rain doesn't get my clothes wet. When I enter the school,  everything seems normal.

People walk with their friends to their classes normally, but for some reason, I notice it differently. For some reason the air is less thick, and the color of the corridors are somewhat more intense.

Everyone looks and seems to be as always, but I feel different walking among them. It's almost easy, not like it used to be, as if you were going through a huge mud swamp. I don't know why this is happening, but somehow I like it.

I climb the stairs and walk to my locker. Normally when I'm at my locker, I see Four. And he is usually nearby, turning his lighter on and off.

I don't really know why he does that, he could get in trouble. It takes me three times to open my locker. My hands are numb and cold making it difficult for me to make the combination to open it.

When I get it, I put my food in with some other things that I will not need for my first classes, and then I close it. When I turn I get scared when I find Four a couple of centimeters behind me.

"Did you get to the school okay?"

"What?" I ask, but then I repeat the question in my head. "Um, yeah, I got here alright."

Lately he's been acting weird, not like the first time I met him. When we met he was cheeky and carefree, now he seems ... like he was worried about me or something like that.

"Ok," he says, and he just stands there, looking at me, and he's making me uncomfortable.

"Why do you keep looking at me?" I ask, although my intention wasn't to say it out loud.

"Because today you look different," he says. What, he also noticed? I thought I was imagining things.

"In what sense?"

"I don't know, your eyes aren't so muffled," he says, and I laugh. My eyes?

"Oh, okay" I reply. I'm taking off, uncomfortably. I don't want to stay here anymore, but at the same time I don't want to leave, I wish the bell rang.

Four doesn't seem uncomfortable. I'm looking down, but I can see that he continues to watch me. I usually hate people staring at me, but I don't care so much right now because I don't think he's judging me like most people do.

When I look up, I see that he is no longer looking at me, but behind me.

I turn my head to look at where he is. There are only students swarming through the corridors, most of them kids first. There is one person who stands out from the others, a tall boy.

I can't see his face because he has his back to us. All I see is that it has a slightly tanned skin and dark brown hair, almost black.

"Who is that?" I turn to ask Four, but he's gone. I look around, but it is nowhere to be seen. Where did he go? He was here with me a moment ago.

I'm about to turn and look for him, but the bell rings, signaling it's time to go to class. The rest of the students begin to queue, trying to get to class on time, and I do the same. Mr. Cleary is out of class, greeting everyone as they enter the classroom.

I duck my head in the hope that he doesn't notice me, but he does. "Good morning Miss Goode," he says when he reaches the door.

"Hi," I say uncomfortably, and leave him behind when entering class. I sit in my usual place next to Mack. She is looking at me with an extravagant smile smile, something I don't recognize coming from her.