Chapter 37.

"Arabella told me," I lie and the color drains from his face.

"How do you know Arabella?" he says calmly, but I can feel his anger growing inside him.

What did I just get myself into?

My idiot mouth had to speak for itself now? Of all the possible moments, you decide now is the best time? I curse myself mentally and try to think of some excuse to get out of this mess.

"Hunter, how do you know Arabella?"

Something about the tone of his tone terrifies me more than the fact that he can yell at me. He is pale, the color of his eyes is more intense, and he is standing there, it is as if he were a statue.

It seems as if I have just seen a ghost go by, trying not to be seen. I'd say he looks more terrified than me, but I think I'm a lot more afraid of him.

"I-I can't think of an excuse". My brain has been reduced to dust and I can't focus on a single thought at this time.

"Hunter, if you don't answer me in the next five seconds ..." he says and stops in the middle of the sentence. I don't want to know what he has  in mind for the rest of the sentence, but I'm afraid that if he finishes I would run immediately.

The next five seconds pass, but I'm still sitting at his table, frozen in my thoughts. Four just sighs and slowly walks towards me.

Just when he reaches me, I wake up, and slowly move away from him.

Before I can get away enough, he grabs my wrist and pulls me close to him.

I am afraid and my heart is beating uncontrollably. His face is very close, and I try to look away, but I can't .

I can't read the expression on his face. The force on my wrists diminishes, and it becomes a little squeeze. Confusion floods my mind while his gesture relaxes.

"Hunter, just tell me," he says. His voice remains calm, but I can notice the emotional tinge behind her.

My heart rate decreases and my anxiety disappears. I am finally able to think clearly again, but I still don't want him to know that I have read his diaries, so I think of another excuse.

"I know her," I lie, but it's not a very convincing lie.

"And shit Hunter, Arabella is dead," he says with certainty in his voice. I don't know what else to say and he doesn't either. When I look at him, all my previous thoughts seem to disappear and I am completely exposed.

"Hunter, I promise not to get angry, just tell me how you know Arabella," he says and I really think he's telling the truth.

"You promise?" I ask. His face is still close to mine.

"I promise, just tell me," he begs me practically.

"Okay" I knew that this moment would come sooner or later, I just didn't want it to arrive the same day it happened.

Should I tell him that I have read his diary or should I lie to him again? I decide to go with the truth, because sooner or later I would expose myself.

Instead of talking, I look in my backpack and slowly pull out the little leather diary. I look at Four while I pick up the diary and his eyes open completely. If it's not possible, relax even more.

I bring the diary to him slowly, but he doesn't accept it. He only looks at it as if it were a brain that he was holding. I put it on his chest, but still he doesn't hold it. He just watches me, without even looking into my eyes.

"Hunter", he finally speaks after what seems like an eternity, "Where did you get this?"

I don't want to tell him that I slipped into his room, to which he made it clear that he didn't want me in. I don't want to tell him that I slipped into his house when he was out and intentionally went to that room, obviously it wasn't by accident.