Chapter 23

Emilie POV
     I wake up breathing heavily and covered in sweat and tears. I wanted to cry and scream for what I have done. I put my hand over my mouth in a desperate attempt to stop my cries from escaping.
'I really did kill someone' I think to myself as tears start to run down my cheeks. Suddenly the sheets started to shift and I turn to see that it's Newt turning in his sleep. I quietly leave the room and run towards the bathroom and as soon as I close the door I break down crying.
"How could I be capable of something like that!" I cried until there were no more tears left to shed and just sat there on the bathroom for what felt like an eternity.
     After a while, I struggled to get up and slowly made my way to the sink. When I saw my reflection in the mirror I saw that my eyes were swollen red and I had tear stains running down my cheeks. I quickly turn on the water and try to get rid of any evidence of my tears. When I finish and walk outside is only then do I realize how early it really is. I look up at the sky and see that there were still a few stars out and that the sun was just barely making its way up. Not knowing what else to do I make my way over the slammer where Thomas and Teresa are.
"Who's there?" Teresa cautiously shouts as my footsteps become louder. 
"Relax it's just me," I say once I come into her view and she sighs in relief. I kneel down and see Thomas sweating and breathing heavily on Teresa lap.
"How is he?" I ask.
"He seems to be doing better," I nod and pull out some food and water and hand it to her.
"Here you must be starving" She quickly starts scarfing it down but starts to slow down as soon as she realizes that I'm still here.
"Sorry I haven't eaten since I woke up," She says as she swallows her food.
"Don't worry you're fine I would have been the same" I say with a grin.
"Anyways thank you for the food umm...?"
"Emilie"
"Thank you, Emilie and I'm Teresa, and again sorry"
"And again don't worry about it," I say with a small laugh.
"What's so funny?" Teresa asks with a small smile of her own.
"Nothing I just find it funny that we are the only two girls in the entire glade and we haven't been able to talk until now" The both of us laugh at this but it soon dies when the realization dawns on us.
"Because of everything that's been going no wonder we haven't been able to talk" Teresa whispers.
"I wonder what makes us different?" She continues and I give her a confused look.
"What do you mean?"
"I mean by what makes me, Thomas, and you different from the others" I let out a nervous laugh.
"I-I don't know what you're talking about I mean yeah I'm different because I'm the first girl here but other than that I'm basically the same"
"No your not you're different like me and Thomas. You were put here for a specific reason just like me and Thomas" I shake my head at her.
"No, Teresa you're wrong..."
"You know its true"
"No your wrong" There was a brief moment of silence of us staring at each other.
"Alright then tell me this... Do you remember anything from before you were put in here?"
     I was taken back and look at her with wide eyes. I didn't know what to say or do as I looked at her baffled.
"Do you-"
"Told you she would be here Newt" Just when I found my words I was cut off by Minho's voice and when I turn around I see him, Chuck, and Newt making their way over to us.
"I thought Gally and the others took you while we were sleeping" Newt gives me a tight hug.
"I know you have a habit of wandering off on your own but can you please hold off on that for now" I simply nod and hug him back.
"I'm sorry" is all I say and Newt pulls away and looks at me.
"You're fine that's all that matters"
"Ugh! Enough of this already! We have more important things to worry about then you two reuniting after five seconds" Minho yells out. Newt glares at him but lets go of me.
"Emilie, what were you doing here?" Chuck asks.
"I came to give them some food"
     They all nod seemingly satisfied with my answer. I was starting to relax until my eyes meet with Teresa and a surge of worry and fear starts running throughout my body and I had the sudden urge to run.
"I gotta go now," I say as I start walking away
"Wait, Emilie, where are you going?" Chuck asks as him and the others start catching up to me.
"To go help the others rebuild the glade" Newt grabs my arm to keep me from leaving.
"We have more important stuff to talk about then rebuilding the glade love"
"No, we don't Newt. Our main focus right now should be rebuilding the maze"
"Love what's going on?" Everyone looks at me with both confusion and concern.
"Nothing is going on"
"Then why do you refuse to acknowledge what important right now" Minho finally says in a serious tone.
"You know that we found the way out and you saw what happened last night and know as well as I do that we can't stay here anymore"
"I know but-"
"Ugh...." We suddenly hear Thomas starting to wake up and we all rush back.
"Hey. Are you okay?" Teresa smiles at Thomas once he is fully awake.
"What the hell were you thinking?" Chuck suddenly blurts out but Thomas just ignores him as he gets up.
"What happened?"
"Gally has taken control. He said we had a choice. Either Join him... or get banished at sundown with you" Newt explains.
"And the others agreed to that?"
"Gally has everyone convinced that you're the reason all this has happened" Newt continues.
"Well, he's been right so far" We all taken back by what he said.
"What are you talking about?" Minho asks Thomas was apprehensive at first but continues to explain.
"This place... it's not what we thought it was. It's not a prison, it's a test. It all started when we were kids. They would give us these challenges. They were experimenting on us. And then people started disappearing. Every month, one after the other, like clockwork"
"They were sending them up into the maze" Newt finishes.
"Yeah, but not all of us"
"What do you mean?" My voice was below a whisper but he was somehow still able to hear me.
"Guys, I'm one of them. The people who put you here, I worked with them. I watched you guys for years. The entire time you have been here... I was on the other side of it" He then looks over at Teresa.
"So were you"
"What?" She looks at him with tears in her eyes.
"Teresa, we did this to them"
"No. That can't be true"
"It is. I saw it"
"Why would they send us up if we were with them?"
"It doesn't matter" None of us knew what to think much less say. He then looks over at me and I start fearing for the worst.
"What was I-"
"No, you're not like us but you're also not like them," He says while giving Newt and the others a quick glance.
"What do you mean?" I ask as tears start blurring my vision.
"They took us when we were about five or six years no one was older than that until you suddenly came" Everyone stayed silent and only glanced at me a few times while Thomas continued.
"I remember the firsts time I saw you, you were about 15 or 16 years old when they brought you in you weren't restrained but two guards were guarding you as if you would attack at any moment. Me, Teresa, and the others weren't allowed to go near you except for the few scientists who experimented on you so we were only able to catch quick glances of you but even so every time we saw you always kept that blank emotionless expression and unlike the others, we only experimented on you for about a month until we sent you down into the maze"
     I didn't know what to say and I didn't know what to do at this point. How am I supposed to respond to this? How am I supposed to react? All I know is that I'm scared.
"Why would they send me here if I wasn't originally supposed to be here?" I finally ask. But he only gives me the same response he gave to Teresa. As soon as he said that my tears finally escaped and started running down my cheeks one after another. Suddenly I felt Newts comforting and warm hand tightly grip on mine.
"He's right" He suddenly says as he looks between me and Thomas.
"It doesn't matter. Any of it. Because the people we were before the maze don't even exist anymore. These Creators took care of that. But what does matter is who we are now, and what we do... right now. You went into the maze and you found a way out"
"Yeah, but if I hadn't, Alby would still be alive," Thomas says in a defeated voice.
"Maybe. But I know that if he were here, he would be telling you the exact same thing. Pick your ass up and finish what you started. Because if we do nothing... then that means Alby died for nothing, and I can't have that" Finally I tightly grip onto Newts hand and use my free one to wipe my tears away.
"Okay- Okay, but we gotta get through Gally first"
     We all nod in agreement and start coming up with a plan on how we get through him. Once we finish we all rush to our rooms to pack some clothes and other necessities. As soon as we closed the door Newt took out a bag and immediately started packing while I just stood there anxiously fondling with my necklace.
"Love hurry up and start packing we don't have time to waste," He says while having his back towards me as he continues to pack but I just stand there.
"Emilie we don't have much tim-"
"I don't want to leave" I finally blurt out.
     Newt finally stops what he was doing and turns around to see my tears once again running down my cheeks as I tightly grip onto my necklace as if it was some sort of lifeline. Newt makes his way over to me and looks at me with sad and worried eyes.
"What do you mean you don't want to go"
"When I first got here I've always had something in the back of my mind telling me that I'm better off in here than out there" I finally cry out.
"Emilie love you don't know tha-" I cut him off before he finishes.
"Yes, I do... I remember" He just looks at me and didn't say anything.
"What do you remember?" He finally says after what felt like an eternity.
"I remember kids.... kids our age killing each other and I was one of them" I drop to my knees as my tears increase.
"I'm scared that if I leave then I will end up going back to that place" Before I know it Newt holds me tight in his arms.
"If you don't want to go then fine I'll stay right here with you," I shake my head at this.
"No, you have to go you've suffered long enough from being here besides Thomas and the others need you" He pulls away and gently wipes my tears away.
"But I need you more. I much rather spend the rest of my life in this prison with you than live out there and never see you again"
"N-no you have to go I won't let you-"
"Its fine love... as long as I'm with you then I'll be fine," He says with a sad gentle smile.
"Do you promise to stay by my side no matter what and to never abandon me?" I say in a small shaky voice.
"I promise you that I will always stay by your side and that I will never abandon you"
"Then I'll go with you and the others"
"No love-"
"It's fine just as long as you keep your promise and stay by your side then I don't mind leaving," I say in a more confident voice.
"Are you sure you want to do this?" He asks.
"Yes," He kisses my forehead and gives me a gentle smile.
"Then let's hurry we have a lot to do before sundown"

Hey I'm back sorry I haven't updated in a while school and family trouble has been taking up a lot of my time but thank you for being patient anyways what did you think of this new chapter and if you have any comments or questions about the story or characters then ask me in the comments anyways thank you for reading have a good day or night.