Chapter 7 - The roles people play

"Mommy! Mommy, wake up!"

Levi was jumping up and down on the bed as he shouted, making Olena's head spin.

"Mmmm?"

Olena grunted in response, her head still heavy with sleep.

"Wake up mommy! You have to get ready," Levi urged, this time resorting to tapping Olena's arm with his chubby little hands.

"Baby there's no work today. It's Saturday, mommy does not have to get up this early."

"But Mommy... Daddy said we're going to Grandpa's house. We have to leave early! Because of traffic!"

They were going to her in laws' house? Olena sat up on the bed, still groggy, trying to figure out what that day was.

Then she remembered. Her husband mentioned something last night about a simple impromptu family gathering to welcome a visiting relative.

Looks like she won't be able to wiggle out of it as she already skipped the last two gatherings they had.

She turned to Levi and hugged him quickly.

"Okay baby, Mommy's up now. I'll go fix breakfast while you take a bath with Daddy."

"Yaaaay!"

With a loud cheer, Levi scrambled off the bed and headed outside the room to look for his dad.

"I love you! Always always!"

She called out to the small figure before he disappeared from her sight.

"Always always!"

Levi called back from outside the room.

Olena chuckled. It was their signature code, one that only the two of them used. Levi would not give that reply to anyone else, not even his dad.

Olena did a few stretches to wake her body up then headed to the kitchen. She could hear Levi giggling happily while in the shower and she smiled.

If there was one thing Robert was perfect for, it was being a father.

He embraced the new role like he was preparing for it his whole life, even going so far as researching what music was best for babies in the womb and made sure they played it every night while she was pregnant with Levi.

From then til now, Olena never had to push him to do things for their son. He even volunteers for tutoring sessions with Levi, and he makes sure they spend quality time together after work and on weekends.

He was too good in fact, that Olena would sometimes get jealous of their father-son bond. But she had her own special bond with Levi and she considers it to be the biggest achievement of her life.

"Mommy, I finished taking a bath already. Come smell me!" Levi's small voice called out from the living room.

"Wait baby, I'm still cooking your food. Get dressed first, I'll smell you later," Olena told him, laughing at her son's innocence.