Chapter 8

The group of vampires walked through the dark forest, Natsuki leading the way as she used an old compass and map to the old school building. The others lagged behind as sore leg muscles and hunger started to catch up to them.

Mako turned her head back to see Nana staring up at the night sky. She couldn't forget about the girl asking to kiss her, but that proved difficult.

"Why did she ask me that so suddenly..?"

"Natsuki~ I'm getting tired..." Yuka whined.

"Oh, alright. Let's rest a bit," Natsuki turned around, then her eyebrows furrowed. "Wait.. where's Natsumi?"

As the girls saw she was missing, they groaned in frustration.

"You gotta be kidding..."

"Somebody go find her," Natsuki said.

Nao offered, immediately going off to find the girl as the others rested. Mako looked over at Manatsu, who was resting by herself while rubbing her temple.

"Manatsu-chan, you alright?"

"Yeah.. just a little headache."

Nana looked down, eyeing Manatsu worriedly. Natsuki also noticed her behavior and approached her.

"You still feeling sick?"

"A little..."

She felt her forehead. "No fever... yet."

"Eh? Manatsu-chan's getting sick?" Yuka asked.

"Seems like it. She wasn't all that well yesterday." Tomu looked around the environment. "I think there's some herbs out here we can use to make medicine."

"I appreciate the offer, but I don't think this is just any common cold..."

"Then, what?"

"Keira..." Akari voiced out, making everyone look at her as she had been silent. "This is exactly what happened to Keira..."

Everyone grew quiet, remembering the girl mentioned. Just like them, Keira was a young vampire going through her Cocoon period. However, she suddenly fell ill and died, much to their dismay.

Akari especially was heartbroken by the event, unable to speak or interact with the others for months after the ordeal. She couldn't handle the unexpected loss of her friend. And it was hard for her to even mention her name... until just now, it seems.

"Why Manatsu? Why Keira?" Akari muttered, holding her arms.

"Hold on. We don't know that it's the same as..." Mako started, but stopped when she saw Akari's troubled expression. She spoke again, this time more reassuringly, "I'm sure Manatsu will get better."

"You just rest. Maybe the hunters won't find us if we just calm down and stay hidden."

"Then Nao better hurry and find Natsumi."

------------------------

Natsumi had wandered off again, distracted by the stars shining in the sky.

"Twinkle, twinkle, little star~ How I wonder what you are~" she sang with a giggle now and then, her feet leading her aimlessly through the woods.

However, she blinked and soon realized that her friends were nowhere to be found.

"Are? Are? Where'd everyone go?"

She looked around, confused and slightly dazed, as she couldn't recall how she ended up on her own.

"Natsuki-san~? Mako-chan~? Where are you~?" she called out.

As she searched for them, she then started to smell smoke. She followed the scent and started to see a fire in the distance.

She walked closer and saw someone warming up by the fire. She blinked, tilting her head.

"Who is that? She's familiar..."

"Madoka, let's make s'mores!" Another girl said as they approached Madoka, who smiled upon her arrival.