Chapter 12

"Nana!" Mako called out as she regained consciousness. She looked around, beads of sweat running down her forehead.

"Hey, are you alright?" a voice asked.

She looked up and saw a young girl with short black hair. She handed her a can of tomato juice, Mako just accepting while still a bit dazed.

"Do you know where you are right now?" Jurina asked. The vampire just shook her head in response. "Do you know how you got here?"

Mako didn't respond. She just drank her tomato juice as Jurina continued on.

"This place is protected by a special barrier... It only lets you in if you have the right to be here. So why do you think it let you come here?"

"...Maybe.. to find out the truth about my past?"

"Is that so?"

"I've been dreaming... and it feels like part of my memory is missing. I think I'm here to try and recover it."

"I hope you find it," the girl said with what seemed like a knowing smile. Mako looked at her confused, but she just gave a wink and left the room.

"Ah..." Jurina gasped as she looked out the window, seeing the old, tattered main entrance gates. A twinkle in her eyes, she smiled, "Looks like they'll all be here soon."

-------------------------

"I see it! The clock tower!" Akari pointed out as she spotted the aforementioned clock tower in the distance.

"We're close! Let's go!" Yuka sprinted ahead, anticipating to see what was on the other end.

"Hey, Yuka!" Tomu ran after her, and everyone else followed sport.

Once they finally reached the end of the path, they saw it. An old school building covered in overgrown vines and other plant life.

"Uwaa... this is the old school building for Magnolia?"

"No, it doesn't look like Magnolia," Natsuki said. "Maybe Rena was wrong."

"Speaking of, how did she even know of this building when it's so deep in the woods?"

"It does sound suspicious..."

"Hey, I told you, Rena-san can be trusted!" Yuka insisted. "She saved our lives, right, Nana?!"

She turned to look at her, only to find that she was crying while staring at the school building. She looked over at them, unaware of the tears she was shedding.

"Oi, Nana, what happened?! You're crying!"

"Eh..?" Nana touched her cheek, seeing her tears. "Why..? Why does this place make me cry?"

"Hey... should we go in?" Nao asked. Everyone looked around, not knowing what to do. "I mean, who knows... Mako might be here."

Nana's eyes widened. She looked to Natsuki, giving her a serious expression.

"We... can check."

They walked through the entrance gates and soon entered the school building. Everyone looked around, making sure that no one else was present.

"I'm hoooome~" Natsumi suddenly called out.

"Oi!" Akari hissed, "What do you think you're doing?!"

Natsumi just tilted her head, causing the girl to groan.

"Nevermind."

"Let's split up," Natsuki then said. "Everyone go in twos. Yuka and Nana, Akari and Natsumi. Nao, you come with me. Tomu, think you can handle things alone?"

"Who do you think I am?" Tomu spoke in a cool tone, a snicker or two escaping Akari and Natsumi.

"Alright, we'll re-group here. If anyone finds Mako, just come back here. Wait for us to return so we can leave as a group."

"Eh? We're not staying here?!"

"This isn't the place we were looking for. Of course not."

"But Natsuki-san... what if this is?" Nao asked.

"Huh?"

"Even if it isn't our destination... what if this place has something more to us? Something like..."

"Hello?" A voice then called out. Everyone grew tense as they heard footsteps approach. "Is someone here?"

"Move out," Natsuki whispered as everyone dashed away, disappearing without a sound.

Marika appeared from the shadows, looking around confused.