9

Zheng Xi has never walked home so fast. Not only did he feel incredibly uncomfortable being in the same room as He Tian and Mo Guan Shan when they had sexual tension that couldn't even be cut through with a knife; but for once he has someone waiting at home. He hurriedly unlocks the door and calmly calls out, "I've got beef stew. Apparently, it's the best-"

His words get interrupted as long lanky arms engulf him, "ZHHHAANNNGGG XXIIII YYOOOUU'RREE HOOMMEEE!"

Zheng Xi calmly tries to swat the other away, "Well hello to you too Jian Yi."

Jian Yi leans back from him but keeps his hands on the other's shoulder. His sandy hair is hanging loosely from his bun and there's a loose strand hanging in front of his face. Zheng Xi resists the urge to tuck the strand behind the other's ear. Jian Yi pouts, "I missed you."

He is so close, I can literally just tuck that strand.

Before Zheng Xi could reach over, Jian Yi's pet bat flew over, its eyes were gleaming red. It glared at Zheng Xi as if it could tell the other's intention and its eyes narrowed in scrutiny.

"Master we have no time to waste with this imbecile," the bat's voice grumbled out, "we must act now."

Zheng Xi tries not to take too much offense to the comment.

Jian Yi giggles softly, "We will soon. I'm hungry let's eat first."

Zheng Xi quickly sets the dishes for the two of them (the bat doesn't eat human food, Zheng Xi doesn't care and doesn't want to know what it eats), and Jian Yi helped by uselessly clinging on to the other while mumbling about how he missed him.

As they begin to eat Zheng Xi realizes that the beef stew was indeed the best in the world, but soon after the realization, he loses the urge to eat. His attention for his food is rather focused on Jian Yi, whose face literally brightens at the taste of the beef stew. Zheng Xi's mouth curves at the reaction and he reminds himself to give an earnest thanks to the redhead the next morning. As he watches Jian Yi eat, his mind tumbles on the memory of meeting the other. Only Zheng Xi could be utterly calm about having a demon and it's familiar sitting in his kitchen eating dinner.

Their meeting was due to Zheng Xi's curiosity. Unsurprisingly.

The book was practically peeking out of the bookshelf like it was waiting to be picked. Zheng Xi carefully took it out from its spot and was extremely surprised by how heavy and dusty it was. Unlike the other books in the library, this one had a leather cover and strangely had no title. Confused Zheng Xi brought it up to the librarian at the counter,

"Can I sign this out?"

The librarian frowned at the book, "I have never seen that book."

Her eyes for a few seconds go blank, so quick that Zheng Xi would have missed it if he wasn't such a keen observer.

"I'm going to check about it in the back."

Zheng Xi nodded but his mind tries to comprehend why the librarian had to go to the "back" to check when there's a computer in front of her.

Zheng Xi stared at the cover his eyes slowly zones out.

I should leave, he thought.

Picking up the book he quickly exists the library before he could even think about what is he doing. He quickly stuffed the book in his backpack. As he exits the school Zheng Xi flinched when he saw something move fast in the corner of his eyes. Something black.

He opened the book as soon as he reached home. The first thing he sees is a diagram.

No, a pentagram.