Little White Lies

Chapter 3
Alex

I’m finding it extremely difficult to keep my eyes on the road. I keep glancing over at her, she hasn’t stopped smiling. There’s
something about this girl; she’s so transparent, and don’t get me wrong, that’s a really good thing, but I look at her and it’s almost like I know all her secrets, like that’s exactly what her intention is.

She’s staring out the window and I’m staring at her. She turns around and I quickly focus my attention on the road. She says “Here.”
and I can’t fight the shock that has taken over my body. She was serious when she meant just a few blocks down.

She thanks me and I open my door, then hers, and we walk to the trunk. I make eye contact with her and she has this calm-but-totally-on-edge look in her eyes.

I lift open the trunk and we both reach for the suitcase. Our hands touch briefly and we both pull away. Something happened when
my hands met hers; something electric. I look at her and I can’t help the smile tainted across my face. I grab the suitcase and set it
down on the ground. I hate that it’s so awkward. Think, Alex, think.

Before I come up with something to say that will break this awkward spell, she picks up the suitcase and takes a step back. No, don’t
leave just yet.

“Thank you again, Alex. You really didn’t have to give me a ride, I could have managed.” She smiles at me. Then I die internally
because I’m late for work, but I really don’t want her to leave.

There’s something about being in her presence that makes me feel like
life isn’t all that bad.

“It’s really not a problem, Isabella. I mean, I almost killed you. Think of this as my way of thanking you for not pressing charges.” I
smile back at her, but really I should just punch myself. That was so lame. I told you, you have no game.

She laughs, like extremely loud, too loud in fact. I don’t know what to think of that. It really wasn’t all that funny, but I smile and laugh with her, almost as loud as her. She stops, and then punches me playfully.

“I’m never washing that arm.” I say, rubbing the arm she just punched. 'You’re such a dork, Alexander De Luca.'

“That’s pretty gross.” She’s blushing, but she never takes her eyes off mine.

We just stand there, in the driveway, with the dumbest pair of smiles slapped across our faces. She makes everything feel lighter.
She’s as natural as breathing. She makes me want to breathe a lot, because she makes breathing so beautiful. My eyes drop to her
lips, and she licks them slowly. Not so lame, after all. I take a step towards her, but she backs up a step, and that’s when it happens.

I see him, and he’s coming towards me. She turns around and her suitcase drops to the ground. He’s not coming towards me, he can’t be. What? No! He’s coming for her?