Little White Lies

Chapter 8
Alex

I’ve managed to drown out majority of my thoughts about Izzy. It feels so weird calling her “Izzy”, but the nickname suits her.

She has this naturally tanned-skin, with dark brown hair, I could see that it’s been coloured, it’s still beautiful nonetheless. She has a piercing on her top lip. Her nails were painted this dark blue-black colour. She is...Damn it! I was supposed to be drowning her out.

I look around the room for Jonah but he’s busy with potential buyers of my latest piece. I’m not as good as Jonah in social settings, so I just let him do his thing. I watch him work his way around the room; he’s charming the
wallets off of these people. Way to go, Jonah! I think it’s just the British accent though.

I make my way to the cash register and then I see a girl. Her back is turned to me and she’s running her fingers over the art. I hope she
knows how much artists hate when people do that.

She’s wearing black jeans, a black sweater with black combat boots. Her fingers
trail over the next painting and that’s when I see it; the black-blue nail polish.

“Isabella?” I say, almost in a whisper.
She turns around quickly.

“Alex. I can’t believe it. It’s you, isn’t it?” she takes a step closer to me. I don’t back away.

“What’s me?” I ask, glaring over her features again.

She has her hair up in a tight knot. She’s wearing a little makeup, she looks... breathtaking. Literally, because I think I stopped breathing as soon as she turned around.

“You’re the ‘Young local artist.’” She smiles broadly.

Suddenly, every other person in the room disappears, and it’s only her and I here. I smile back at her, semi-relieved that she hasn’t figured out who I really am yet.

“Yeah, I am. Welcome to Lego Art Studio.” I point around the room.

She looks around and it’s like a light goes on inside of her when she sees it.
“The colours, the set up, the positioning; it looks like Lego blocks.” She’s basically glowing at this point. Or maybe that’s just how I see her.

“Yeah, I used to love Lego’s when I was a kid. I guess you could say that I still kind of do.” I give her a tour of the gallery and she seems
to be genuinely impressed.

“This is amazing, Alex. You’re incredible.” She’s staring at the art, and I’m staring at her.

                                   ***

I walk her downstairs, to the basement where I create the actual art. I turn the lights on and she starts glowing again, who am I kidding? She hasn’t stopped glowing since the
moment I laid eyes on her.

“Yeah, I stand by what I said back there; you really are incredible.” She faces me and time stands still.

“Isabella. I need you to know just how much you being here means to me.” I take a step closer and I look down at her. She’s licking
her lips again. No, Alex! Back away!

“You can tell me to stop if you want to.” I whisper and I tilt her chin up, so that she’s completely glued to my eyes. I know I shouldn’t be doing this. But the fact that she’s here, telling me things no one’s ever said to me, looking so beautiful, I just have to.

“Alex.” She breathes, and my name escapes her lips.

I close the gap between us and place my mouth on hers, gently. She doesn’t object, nor does she pull away, she wants it just as much
as I do. Alexander! Stop! I know I shouldn’t be kissing her, but I do. I kiss her a lot. And she kisses me back.