1

In middle school, Fumikage Tokoyami was not very popular. No one really disliked the boy, but he wasn't much for his other classmates. Of course, he would chime in when he had something to say in class or when sitting with others his age at lunch. But as his natural introverted nature revealed, he enjoyed his own internal thoughts. That is, his unspoken thoughts.

Dark Shadow, though Fumikage's quirk, had its own opinions. When not projected from the teen's body, the shadow beast was not dormant. Instead, it was like a constant thought running through Fumikage's mind. A constant companion, and a trusted soul to converse with that passed no judgment.

During the Sports festival tournament, he and Dark Shadow discussed their strategy and hopes to win the Human Calvary category. They were instructed to create groups of three or four. One person would ride on top of the others. Each top rider wore a headband with a certain value of points.

"We will have to be fast," Fumikage thought to his inner beast. "This tournament is an all day event."

"No chance they can put the roof on over the stage?" Dark Shadow croaked.

Fumikage shook his head. The dark creature whined, and the teen closed his eyes. He needed to listen and observe. That's when he felt a hand on his shoulder.

"You," a short green haired teen spoke, "will you join our team?"

" Midoriya wants me to join him?" Fumikage thought.

" We need a team," Dark Shadow reminded him.

The dark head of the bird teen nodded. "Certainly, Midoriya." The green-haired teen's face beamed.

The team work had paid off. The teams were stacked, and even though Midoriya was a prime target with such a heavy amount of points on his bandanna, they were able to get third. When the timing was right, Dark Shadow stole a headband from their classmate, Todoroki. This allowed their group to head on to the finally part of the tournament. At the end of the day, Fumikage won third place.

It was strange for Fumikage to hear people cheering for him. All Might hugged him, and a warm pride grew inside his chest. Finally, he was finding his place in the world. There was light in the darkness. His entire class, class 1-A, had become a safe group. He was comfortable with his classmates. They had been through immense dangers. They had been attacked by Villians on two separate occasions. He was captured by the League of Villains and it was his friends in his class that retrieved him. They were all now living in U.A. dorms. Through each an every trial and tribulation, his friends were becoming more of his family.

They had been living in the dorms for a month. Habits had be established, clicks were growing, and patterns had emerged. Fumikage enjoyed their personal space, and the bright lights around the campus made it possible to enjoy strolls at dusk in the courtyard. He walked with his hands tucked into the pockets of his black hoodie. He had on dark skinny jeans that were cuffed at the ankle on top of his black laced ankle boots.

As the sun was finally setting and the first few stars made their way out into the sky, Fumikage reached the entry to the dorms, Dark Shadow begant to protests. "The light is going away. I want to play," Dark shadow whined, crawling out of Fumikage's back.

"It's night," Fumikage retorted. "People sleep at night."

He walked through the dorm entrance. Inside the entryway was a set of couches, chairs and a television. The common area was always well lit. No one slept on the first floor, and laundry rooms and bathrooms were down there as well. It made sense for it to be the most illuminated area. Dark Shadow whimpered and retreated back into Fumikage.