Chapter 4-Derek

I have finally finished chapter 4! I would like to thanks all of my male friends, whom I asked 'If you woke up as a girl what would you do?' I tried to include all 7 of their answers as best I could   :) Enjoy!

Bzzt! Bzzt! Bzzt! Bzzt!

I groan and roll over. I am still slipping in and out of consciousness so it takes me a while to figure out the sound is a phone. I open my eyes to see a phone lying on a bedside table in front of my bed. I frown. I’m fairly sure that bedside table wasn’t there last night but I’m too tired to care. I slowly reach out to grab the still vibrating phone but I fall back asleep before I can pick it up.

Bzzt! Bzzt! Bzzt! Bzzt!

I wake up again to the sound of the vibrating phone again.

‘Ugh!’ I moan, as I reach my arm out tiredly and pick up the phone. I was going to give this persistent caller a piece of my mind.

‘Call back at a reasonable hour.’

 ‘Derek, listen to me. This is Aurora.’

Aurora? Why is she calling me this early in the morning? And I hear a tone of urgency in her voice. Wait…her voice sounds weird too…

 ‘Aurora? You sound weird.’

‘Yeah, well, I’ll explain that in a second, but for now listen to me okay?’

I know this is meant to be serious but I’m still really tired. I groan before I answer.

 ‘Do you know what time it is?’

 ‘Um, 6:09.’ Aurora replied.

Holy Crap!

‘WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING CALLING ME IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT?’

I hear Aurora giggle, but I don’t think it’s funny. I usually don’t wake up until 7:00, so no wonder I was having trouble answering the phone.

‘What time do you normally wake up?’

I open my mouth to answer, but she continues on before I get the chance.

 ‘Never mind that, just listen to me. Are you still in bed?’

She is starting to scare me a little. I laugh, a little nervously though and say, ‘Um… yeah, why?’

I hear her take a breath. I don’t know whether she is kidding, being overly dramatic or is serious.

‘Derek, make sure no one is watching you, then find a mirror okay?’

Huh? That was definitely not what I was expecting her to say. I start laughing, having no idea what she’s going on about.

I ask her, ‘What are you talking about?’

‘Just do it okay?’

I try to stop laughing and take her seriously, but her instructions make no sense at all I can’t help myself. I see no harm in doing what she asks though, and I stand up and walk towards my doorway to go to the bathroom and ‘Find a mirror’ as I’m apparently supposed to do.

‘Alright fine, I’ll hold the phone while I find a mirror.’

As I walk towards my doorway I notice something odd. On the wall near the door there’s a mirror. I was asleep enough earlier to not notice the sudden existence of a bedside table, but now I realise the strangeness of the mirror suddenly appearing out of nowhere, because it was definitely not there last night.

I say into the phone, ‘Hey, there’s a mirror on my wall, that’s not normally there.’

When I get closer I look at the mirror and follow Aurora’s instructions to ‘Find a mirror’, which I assumed meant I needed to look at myself. Okay…