Chapter 1 : Can't Find My Way Home

Possible triggers: mentions death

April's POV

Hi, I'm April Robertson and I'm an orphan. My dad died of cancer when I was 12 years old, and my mum died not long after of 'broken heart syndrome'. You may have heard of it, but basically it's where when someone you love dies it can affect how your heart works so you literally die of a broken heart. It's not completely scientific but no one can find an explanation for it.

I am now 13 and in an orphanage. My birthday is 13 February 1992, the day before Valentine's Day. It's been 7 months since my dad died, and 6 since my mum. I still miss them both so much and my life has changed so much. I am an only child and had no other family so here we are. I have a few close friends at school, but not much. I'm not bullied, it's just that no one really wants anything to do with me. I'm just the weird emo kid no one knows.

I've been in this orphanage since my mum died and I'm lucky I got to go to the same school. I share a room with 2 other girls who don't really pay attention to me. I don't think they know I'm here half the time. I keep the noise down so they don't pick on me. Really, I have an alright experience here, I just don't have any support to help deal with the death of my parents. If you're wondering how I can talk about them so easily it's because my coping mechanism is to laugh and joke about it. Another reason not many people like me. They just don't understand how I can joke about it. I get that.

Also they think the bands I listen to are 'scary and satanic'. I can understand that, but really they're the opposite. They're inspirational, adorable, and talented people who got a chance to share their gift. My favourite bands are Panic! At The Disco, Fall Out Boy and of course, My Chemical Romance. They helped me through the gradual decline in my dad's condition and then through both parents' deaths.

Well, my life basically consists of listening to music, drawing, and YouTube. I can play piano, but I don't have a keyboard here.

Well I've been talking for a while now, I'm gonna listen to I'm Not Okay now because, well, I'm not okay (I promise).