Part Ten

Elmarri was holding on to Hudson quite tightly, out of slight fear for heights and for the unknown dangers that can appear anytime, or anywhere. She did manage to get a couple momentful glances of the fulfilling lushful forests that surround them, but didn't pay much mind. She wished she didn't say 'yes'.

Hudson, on the other claw, enjoyed the views despite keeping an eye out for danger. He did noticed as they flew above the high trees and odd colored lakes, that they would cease to appear in large masses. It struck him as odd.

"Elmarri," Hudson called out, not glancing down at her.

She opened one eye, directing her attention to Hudson without looking down, as best as she could, "Yes?"

Her voice had to raise a little with the wind rushing by. Hudson heard it perfectly, as he answered back, "Have you noted that the forests and odd water areas are ceasing in numbers?"

At the notice, her interest piqued. With her fears slightly forgotten, she opened both of her eyes, and observed their area. She was astounded--how could it be?

Below them, the lands full of trees and swamps laid off, as a ever growing land of an odd arrange of colors would follow suit.

"Hudson," Elmarri fearfully called out.

Hudson wings slowed to a slight, but continued to fly, "What is this?"

Elmarri gulped slightly, "I believe," she took a breath, "this is land of the Unknown."

Hudson stopped completely, causing Elmarri to yelp at the sudden stop. He glanced around the area, keeping one eye on the land, while the other glances at Elmarri.

"How do we know? Perhaps it can be the Chaos Kingdom, considering their known patterns of odd assortments."

Hudson made the rash decision to land. He chose one of the roads, the dirt path in between the odd patterns. To their left were Belladonna, and to their right was Daphne. Elmarri had to fight the urge to eat the berries from the sweet smelling flowered bushes. She took off her backpack and found some of her dried meat to eat.

Hudson found the berries seemed appetizing and approached the Daphne while Elmarri had a snack...but he saw something in the bushes. He could clearly see, unlike the previous beings he encountered, this being was alive, and hiding. His training as a guard began to show as he flew, or glided, into the brushed and crushed some of the small bushes under his talons.

He stood, towering over the gnome. The tiny being was shaking in his presence. There were more, the strong sweet smell from the plants almost masked them, luckily Hudson had keen eye sight.

"What is your business here creature?" Hudson's voice boomed. The small skinny gnome gulped. He looked rather young, one would almost think he was a child due to his height. However, the deep sound he projected from his lips gave away his true age.

"I could ask you the same, bird," He said pointing at Hudson, "I was here before you, I live here. So, w-why are you here? What land are you from?" He was doing well at faking his bravery, until his voice cracked at the start of his question.

At this point, Elmarri had stuffed her now empty cloth, which had contained her rations, into her backpack and ran over to see that her friend seemed to be threatening a little gnome.

"My friend and I are looking for a Kingdom. It should be pretty close, but we thought we'd ask for directions." Hudson said to the gnome. The little man turned to look out into the bushes of Daphne, Hudson could see he had made eye contact with another of his kind before turning back, "I'll bring you to the man I answer to. But I cannot escort you into the kingdom....that's...not allowed." He lowered his head and his tone. Elmarri felt bad for him, the little man genuinely thought he was going to meet his doom.

"As my friend has said, we would just like directions ." She intervened. The gnome looked up at her, his posture relaxed as he met her yellow eyes with his brown ones.

"It's as simple as following the path." He told her. Elmarri nodded and pulled a slightly angered Hudson back to the dirt pathway, "And...miss." Elmarri stopped and looked to the gnome, "Perhaps, you should do the talking. Tell him Erni sent you up." Elmarri nodded and continue Ms to go along the path hearing little voices behind her.

"Hudson!" She hissed once they were out of earshot, "What was that?"

Hudson's head jerked in all directions, as to check their surroundings, "I could ask you the same question," he said sternly, "Gnomes aren't exactly known for their trust. They trick people, Elmarri!"

"They mean no harm!" Elmarri snapped back. She adjusted her backpack and trudged ahead, following the bizarre colors and new plants that led the way.