3

I opened the front door after chucking my shoes aside and carelessly slumped onto the sofa. All I could remember from school today were Josh's words.

A game. One huge game. And I'm not a part of it.

Am I lucky? Am I unlucky? Should I even care?

I mean, yes I should. It's my classmates. And my sister. But, even Josh didn't think I would be able to help.

But I want to. But I don't know how. And that part just infuriates me.

Rebecca wasn't at the living room nor at the kitchen either. Probably realizing her fate and stuck in her bedroom.

I felt terrible. I couldn't even concentrate properly in class. All of this is happening on a whim, and all of this is happening quick. 

I could feel myself falling into despair. People with powers. If so many people in class have them, how much more could there be outside?

Worse still, how many criminals would have these powers? Locked up prisoners with super strength? That'll be insane. Yet, it sounds so possible.

My phone started buzzing wildly. I fished it up from my pocket. It was a call from Angela.

Yeah... she was also affected by this. Crap.

I answered.

"Matt?"

"Yeah, speaking."

"I need to meet you now, and quick."

"Wh- what? Where? When? Why-"

"Zesty Espresso Coffee Shop. 10 minutes."

Call ended. It ended almost as fast as I picked up my phone. I shook my head in fear and briskly left the house, without telling my mom or my sister.

I raced down the stairs and down the pavement. Zesty Espresso... I heard of it. Never been to one. No clue where the closest one is, but I assume there is only one of it somewhere around the city.

I whipped out my phone again and located the shop. Eh, a 10 minute walk. I could make it in 5 minutes if I ran.

So I did.

Phone in hand, I sprinted across the city. Within 5 minutes, I spotted the coffee shop and opened the glass door. The shop was...

Empty?

That's abnormal for sure. This shop is pretty famous. Why would no one be there?

Actually...

I took a peek over the counter. There seemed to be no one there as well.

"Hello?", I yelled.

No response. Not even a sign, or a shout back. Something seemed off. I made my way past the counter and tried to peek inside the staff room as well.

No one. Nobody. This shop felt dead.

I was distraught. I felt like I was in some horror movie scene, not ready for the incoming jump scare.

The door opened abruptly. I turned my head around swiftly.

It was Angela. She looked very irritated as she briskly walked towards me.

"Sit down. We are going to talk for a bit."

She immediately settled on a comfy looking bench. I sat on the opposite.

I rested my head on my right hand and looked outside the window. There didn't seem to be a lot of passers-by, and it's a Friday. I had too many questions swimming in my head.