Chapter One

We've been running for so long.

My family, and generations and generations before us, they have been running too, for pretty much their whole lives which I found to be extremely stupid.

We never stayed in the same house for more than three years, a really helpful strategy was not to get too attached. Maybe it was a lot to ask from a seventeen-year-old who was still trying to find her identity and yadayada... (quoted from Mom's pointless pep talks).

Once in the car I had decided to ask her why we were always shifting, and she told me that it was a ridiculous question, although I was sure that it was a pretty valid one. Her answer, though, was far worse.

We have to move because if we stopped, something bad will happen.

And when I had asked her why, she sucked in her lips to make a tight line to think of a good answer. When she realised that there was nothing she could come up with, Mom gave me a half-hearted answer which was total bullshit.

We have been running for so, so long that we have forgotten what we were running from.

Then, I stared at her with a wide smile plastered across my face , the type of smile you would give before bursting out in laughter. But when I saw that she was dead serious, I clamped my hand over my mouth to silence an extremely unladylike snort, cleared my throat and sank further back into the passenger seat.

I never questioned our family's fine tradition of running after that day.