chapter nine

chapter nine

      "I'm okay?" Asia asked, her lower lip trembling with excitement as she searched the hospital room for someone else to share the news with—her eyes landed on Jeff who smiled forcibly at her; Mindy and Mali were tangled together on the spare bed that was pressed against the wall. The two had attempted—but obviously failed—to stay awake and give Asia "support", but around five they had collectively collapsed.

"Well not technically—"Henry, her Doctor began, he had a wonderfully terrible day. His shift began at three am, and in the past hours he had delivered three babies, preformed a C-section on a fifteen year old and fallen asleep in the middle of the hallway—and now he was delivering news to a pregnant women who didn't look much younger than him. Jeff was attempting to look ecstatic about the situation—but only obtained to make his grimace deeper; scaring Henry slightly, plus the girl he was talking to was pretty, causing Henry to stumble over his words.

"Then why'd you fucking say that?" Jeff snapped, he actually was simply just inquiring about Henry's word choices, but the squeamish Doctor grasped Asia's bed-rail's for support, swallowing his bravery all together. If a braver version of Henry had somehow appeared, perhaps things would've been different; due to the abnormal bravery that he now obtained, Henry would've kissed Asia Mills and punched the scary man, but in the cold winds of reality, he just sighed.

"I-I'm just saying we'll have to keep her here for a few days to run some tests. And the bleeding, yes, yes, you're bleeding. Yes, and well the bleeding was caused—" Henry blushed deeply "—Intercourse?" he posed his statement more of a question, avoiding the angry glares he was receiving from both pairs of eyes—he retraced the notes the Nurse had written with his own pen, attempting to look busy.

"But I'm not having sex." Asia moaned slightly, averting her eyes from the cute doctor—Mindy usually was the one who dealt with situations that danced the tango down the line between, "well that's socially acceptable—if you're a moose" and "no, no, NO", not her—she glanced at Jeff for help, blush creeping up her cheeks. (Jeff took it as a sign of distress, and being the manly-man he was, took action by slamming his fist into the Doctors stomach.)

"If she fucking said she's not having sex—she's NOT. MY ROOMATE is PREGNANT! I DON'T KNOW IF PREGNANT WOMEN CAN HAVE SEX, BUT I ASSUME EVEN IF THEY COULD, ASIA WOULD NOT! STOP TALKING ABOUT SEX."

"I'm not a slut, I'm just sexually adventurous. Plus I have a boyfriend." Mindy mumbled in her sleep—turning on her back, leaving behind a puddle of drool and a boyfriend (who had never been called a boyfriend before) who both looked sickeningly nervous.

Okay, just Jeff looked nervous—not the drool. But how would you feel if suddenly something that hadn't been there before, blossomed before your eyes—causing you to understand every single thing you ever questioned in your life? That, my dear friends, was when Jeff realized he was in love with Mindy—and with Mindy came Asia; so protecting Asia was just as simple as tying his shoes.

Asia sighed, squinting at the light that shown through the slit in her curtains bathing sections of her legs with splashes of light, the clock now read 10:17, and she felt slightly out of place in the hospital gown—even though she was the reason they were there. Ever since her dreary childhood, Asia felt like things always seemed to have a way of falling apart. Ranging from the pair of shoes she adored at age seven, to the relationship that hung before her eyes like a rude ghost who refused to leave—every thing seemed to be in order.

And by order, I mean falling apart.

"Jeff stop." She commanded, Jeff withdrew from standing angrily over the Doctor in a threatening manner and mumbling things like "I own a cat" and "I punched a tree out of anger" (he wasn't very good at smack-talk)—"And, uh Doctor—Sir, whatever it's not sex, I haven't had sex since February."