stupid nerd rant time

so... If you haven't noticed I'm a musical nerd and it's time for a musical theater rant

They made a new commercial for the musical Wicked a couple years ago and every time I see it this is my reaction:

Thanks, I HATE IT

I have some real problems with this commercial. 

First of all, the model looks TOOOO green to be Elphaba. They use this green makeup, and maybe it's how it looks under stage lights, but it's not BRIGHT EMERALD GREEN. She also doesn't at all look like any of the actresses I've seen play the role.

Second, ELPHABA IS NOT SEXY! I don't know, but something about the way they shot the commercial makes her look like she's supposed to be wearing like a sexy outfit? It doesn't entirely help that the cape/robe they have her wearing is almost completely see-through, she's got her hair flowing dramatically in the wind like it's all pretty, and she's got a ridiculous amount of eye makeup going on. If you haven't noticed, Elphie is a socially awkward nerd with zero sense of style. There's only like one scene in the show where she is explicitly "sexy looking", and that's when she's *spoilers* professing her love for and making out with Fiyero! 

Third and finally, WHAT IS UP WITH THE DUMBASS VOICE OVER! Listen, Wicked is the polar opposite of Avenue Q, it's sincere and has a straightforward story and themes. It's kind of the Christopher Robin of the theater world, at least stuff that's still on Broadway today. But this voiceover! Jesus, its overly cheesy, and the delivery is so bland it's not even funny. It makes it seem like the girl delivering (Elphaba's stand-in) has zero personality and that's just a disservice to her and the whole show.

Ok, I'm done. I linked the commercial (i think it's technically a TV spot) up top so you can see it for yourself. Whenever people see that commercial before I get to recommend the musical they're like "I've seen the commercials, I don't get the hype" and that's not a good reaction to advertising. I really used to love the old commercials where the voiceover said

SO MUCH HAPPENED LONG BEFORE DOROTHY DROPPED IN

(like it does on the posters) in a dramatic voice, showing all the cool effects from the show while playing 'Defying Gravity' in the background while reviews and such came up, it was so simple yet effective. It really hooked me on the show, and it's frustrating to see that this has replaced it.