Atlas -- "Room 105"

The Black Diamond casino was as horrible as I had imagined. It was way too loud. Lottery machines whirled, with the accompanied groans and cheers of winners and losers. Music blasted through the cheap speakers in the ceiling, repeating the same four songs over and over. People chatted in the middle of walkways and servers circled the area like vultures, looking for tips and forgotten money where ever they could find it.

"Excuse me, do you need any help ma'am?"

I turned my head to meet the boring brown eyes of a very professional looking concierge. She wore a basic blue blouse with a buttoned dark grey jacket. My eyes followed her outfit down to her grey pants which were even more uncomfortable looking, then to her black high heels which seemed painful to wear.

"Yes, actually, I'm looking for a man named Everest Jacobson." I cut back to her makeup-caked face and smiled. Whatever she was going to say was thwarted by a large, blond, guy in a brown suit stumbling through the front doors. All eyes were captured by him, except mine, of course. A quick glance around the room showed people were more nervous and scared than happy and excited by his appearance.

Must be the infamous Everest Jacobson. Just in time; how sweet.

"Mr. Jacobson!" called the startled concierge. She raced over to him, offering assistance, but was pushed back without a word. She was left alone in his wake of silence. As he made his way to the elevator, it was like someone pushed play; people went back to their games and the music continued to blare.

"I'm sorry," the concierge said, strutting back toward me. "If you're looking for Mr. Jacobson, you just saw him. May I ask what business you have with him?"

I smirked. "Just need to speak to him about his finance. Said he preferred that I come to him."

"Oh well, do you have anything I could identify you with? Make sure your intentions are true?" She responded, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Yeah, wait a sec." I tore my wallet out of my jacket pocket. I fingered through twelve I.D's before I found a suitable one. "Here ya go." I handed her the card, which she took eagerly.

"Sage Paisley?" She looked up from the card and scanned me from my short hair to my old, worn out flats.

"Yep, that's me," I answered with yet another smile. This was getting real annoying. I barely thought of a plan before I got here, so at the moment, I'm just hoping everything plays out the way I want it to. By the looks of this girl, whose name tag read: Sally, it would be another thirty minutes till I got up to his suite.

"And you're an accountant? You look a little young, your I.D says twenty-two but..." she observed.

"Look, from the way everyone acted around him, I wouldn't want to keep Mr. Jacobson waiting," I interrupted. Thankfully, she got the message and grinned. She handed me back the I.D and told me to follow her.

"I don't usually let people waltz in like this, but you look pretty trustworthy and it seems enough is in order to let you through," Sally said, beaming like she really did trust me and my fake meeting with Mr. Muscle.

Poor thing really is gullible. She'll probably lose her job for letting me in. If that does end up being the result, so be it, I'm not the one suffering, I'll just get paid.

Sally swiped her keycard over the elevator lock and in reply, a high pitched beep signaled the elevators response. We waited in loud silence. Neither of us said anything but behind us, there was a flurry of noise. People, machines, music. It was all never-ending. The elevator would be heaven.

"Ah, here it is," Sally chirped as the elevator doors slid open. She started forward first and I followed at her heels.

"He's a bit intimidating," She admitted, twisting her head back to look at me while the doors closed and the elevator began to move.

"So I've heard." I cracked my knuckles and loud popping filled the quiet. When I was finished, I caught Sally's eyes and smiled weakly.

"Nervous habit," I explained. It wasn't. It was more of a tradition. Every job, I cracked my knuckles to loosen up. I wasn't nervous whatsoever. Though the whole job was just going on chance and luck, I knew the risks and I would know how to escape if it came to that. I also knew other people would be hunting this item, which is why I showed up early to get a head start. Faster I get the possession, better pay I got. By the information I had been sent, this item was extremely valuable.

"Almost there..." Sally mumbled.

I clenched my teeth to keep from doing anything stupid but I swear if she keeps talking I'll knock her out here and be done with it.

A bell chimed and the metal doors slid open. A few business type people stood waiting on the other side. They all wore fancy suits and held expensive looking briefcases. I knew immediately to duck my head and walk calmly off the elevator after Sally. Those people were what I was trying to be. I shuddered. Accountants.

"Ok, it's Room 105, do you need me to show you or could you make it on your own?" She asked, looking rather nervous herself.

"I think I can manage," I smiled again and watched her walk off. Just for good measure I thanked her for helping me and waited till I heard the elevator close.

Grinning slyly to myself, I walked silently down the hall toward Room 105. 

((Ahhhhh, its begun! I'm so happy to be putting our book out for everyone to see. I absolutely love it all and Bree and I are so excited to get to see where this goes!

I also wanted to add that the chapters will be getting a little longer as we write them. (Sorry I new to this whole writing thing) These first few chapters are a bit short but bare with us. :) 

Thanks for tuning in <3))