What's Wrong With Me?

"We used to play outside when we were young, 

And full of life and full of love."

- Little Talks, Of Monsters and Men

I make my voice sound tired and strained as possible. "Hey Ang..." 

My sisters looked concerned. "Peggy? Are you okay?"  

"No... I feel sick.." I croaked. 

Eliza goes into Mom Mode and ushers me to my room. She heats up some chicken noodle soup and even sends my friends down to the convenience store they have here to get some Gatorade. 

Yesssss!

In a matter of un deux trois, I'm being spoonfed soup while watching Ghibli Movies. Life is great. 

*The next morning* 

"Hey, Betsey?" 

"Yeah?" 

(Trigger Warning for this next part: Eliza and Peggy end up having a fight about the LGBTQ+ community that includes religious topics. If you are triggered by this, I'll put another AN at the end to let you know it's over.)

"Hypothetically, if I told you I was gay, how would you react?" 

Eliza gasped. 

"Honey, it's just so wrong! It's against God!" 

".... Since when are we religious?" 

"Angelica and I both got baptized last Sunday. We didn't tell you?" 

"So you're like the other homophobes here." I huffed. 

"Peggy! It's wrong!" 

"WHAT MAKES SOMETHING YOU CAN'T CONTROL WRONG?! IF GOD REALLY HATES THE LGBTQ+ COMMUNITY THAT MUCH, WHY DID HE MAKE US THAT WAY?! WHY DID HE MAKE ME THAT WAY?!" 

(AN: Ok, it's over.)

My sister was speechless. "You... You're.." 

"I'm leaving." I muttered, running out of the dorm.

I ran down the halls and right into John Laurens.

"Peggy! I'm so- are you okay?" 

I looked at him with teary eyes.

"No.." I squeaked.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" 

I nodded. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Minutes later I was sitting in front of Alex and John, whose faces had an equal truckload of disbelief painted all over them. 

"Your own SISTER?!" Alex exclaimed. 

I nodded. 

"You poor thing!" John gasped. 

Suddenly the waterworks burst.

"My sisters hate me! I don't get it?! What's wrong with me?!" 

My friends immediately wrapped me in a circle of support.  

"Hey... You can stay with us... It's okay..."

*One week later* 

I've been avoiding everyone. Theodosia, Sally, my sisters... The only people I've talked to are Laf and Herc. 

Herc's a sweetie. He sews AND knits. Apparently, he knits Laf a new pair of gloves every year. Just in time to replace the old ones. Laf helps me with my French class. He's fluent. We hang out a lot. I introduced them to Studio Ghibli and Stardew Valley and they've been hooked ever since. Alexander's already on Year 5.

Yeesh.

Life is good with them. We have fun. 

 "Alex I SWEAR TO GOD IF YOU EAT MY LEFTOVERS ONE MORE TIME I WILL PUT YOUR LAPTOP ON TOP OF THE FRIDGE!!"

Never a dull moment. 

"John!! Why do you bully me like that?!" Alex whined. 

"I had paNCAKES IN THERE!!" 

"The mix is cheap! Just buy some!" 

"WE DON'T HAVE JOBS!" 

"... Right." 

The next morning, I ended up running into Angelica. 

"Peggy! Where have you been?!" 

Luckily, Alex was right behind me. He glared at her, then pushed right past her. 

"Thanks." 

"No prob." 

Weekends are especially fun. We watch movies, eat junk, and play video games.  

"Welp. John's out." Alex muttered as we watched Aristocats for the 500th time.

John was asleep on Alex's shoulder. Alex picked him up and laid him in his sleeping bag on the carpet.

"Pssh. He's always the first asleep." Hercules chuckled. 

"He's also the one who makes us cinnamon rolls in the morning. There's no happier feeling than waking up to the scent of cinnamon rolls while surrounded by your best friends." I said. 

"True." 

We all sang along to Everybody Wants to be a Cat.

John didn't wake up. I was surprised. We were really loud.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~'

The smell of cinnamon and coffee fills my nose. The sizzling of bacon fills my ears. I open my eyes slowly, relishing this precious moment. I hear Hercules yawn and Laf murmur something in French. Alex is asking John to bring him his coffee. 

"Morning guys." I croak in my ugly morning voice. 

"Morning." They muffle. 

John smiles. "You guys are such night owls. It feels nice to wake up early. The birds chirping, the sunrise..." 

"Morning birds don't understand the feeling of running with the night. Ne expectations. Just you, the moon, and the stars." Laf says dreamily. 

John began setting mugs full of steaming hot coffee on the table. "Whatever. Breakfast is almost ready, so get up and sit at the table." 

Alex chugged his coffee down, black and boiling hot. Then asked for more. I made sure mine was the perfect balance of sweet and bitter before drinking mine. I didn't pay attention to Laf or Herc. Breakfast was soon ready. Cinnamon rolls, scrambled eggs, and bacon. We ate slowly, soaking in these special moments. Sure, having these wonderful moments with my friends made me happy, but... 

My sisters. 

They were still there.

In the back of my head. 

Still making me wonder. 

What's wrong with me?