Prologue

Long ago, there lived a beautiful boy, who was sought after by men and women alike

Long ago, there lived a beautiful boy, who was sought after by men and women alike. He was gentle and kind, and had been taught since birth to love and cherish all life. But fate was not kind to this boy, for word spread rapidly around the village of his beauty and grace. He had soon gained attention from the lover of a jealous and spiteful warlock. 

Days passed and the boy became increasingly fearful of the deadly intent of the warlock. Those he loved began to be targeted and murdered horribly within the course of days until only he remained. The villagers of his homestead shunned him and labeled him a curse upon their village for bringing upon them the wrath of a powerful warlock, and love struck admirers no longer came by, not even the warlocks lover.

But this punishment wasn't enough for the hateful man. He prepared a curse that would transform the beautiful boy into the ugliest vilest of creatures. However, the warlocks lover, who blamed herself for the boys cruel fate, tampered with the curse when the warlock was unaware.

The warlock became enraged when upon casting his curse, the boy transformed, not into an ugly vile creature, but instead, into a beautiful swan. It was in this moment as he watched the boy fly beyond his reach with his newfound wings, that he knew of his lover's betrayal, for the swan was her favorite bird. He struck out in a blind rage and jealousy ultimately killing his lover.

Once he realized what he'd done, he took his dead lover in his arms, his rage and jealousy growing into an all consuming hatred that stripped away the last of his sanity, and swore vengeance for the loss of the woman he loved, swearing to see the boy dead.

******

The Queen smiled down at her sleeping boy, silently glad for him falling asleep so easily to her story. Dark hair slipped over her shoulders as she bent down and graced his forehead with a gentle kiss.

"Goodnight my young Prince, pleasant dreams."