Chapter Two

Over the course of the next few weeks Namjoon had started to learn more about his swan, things that made him believe that perhaps everything the stories and folklore said about them were true

Over the course of the next few weeks Namjoon had started to learn more about his swan, things that made him believe that perhaps everything the stories and folklore said about them were true. For example, he had learned the swans name in the most unusual of ways, a seemingly magical way.

He had been sitting in his chambers, stroking the swans feathers as he contemplated names for the beautiful bird, but none had seemed right for such a magnificent creature. He had chuckled at his foolishness of getting frustrated at not being able to name a swan before smiling down at the bird, looking into his eyes. "I don't suppose you would be able to tell me your name would you my pretty boy?" He jokingly asked with a chuckle.

However, the name, like a familiar thick warm honey, rolled through is mind slipping passed his lips as if spoken a hundred times, would be spoken a thousand more.

Jinie.

So familiar, yet he didn't understand how as he was certain he had never spoken the name before.

It was beautiful.

It was perfect.

Namjoon sighed as he brought his mind back to the present and gazed out at the changing colors of the sky signaling the coming of sunset. The wind gently blew the Autumn leaves through the air making them dance. 

It was so peaceful.

His favorite time of day, the time he can relax and forget about his troubles as king and just focus on being Namjoon. He just wished his worries and burdens could be swept away as easily as the leaves dancing on the wind.

Jinie, well aware of the kings mood, rose from his seat before Namjoon and pushed his way beneath the young mans arm as he cuddled closer to his side. Namjoon chuckled as he began to caress the swans soft feathers. This had quickly become a habit as it never failed to sooth him. Namjoon wasn't sure if it was the act of stroking the feathers or Jinie himself he took comfort in, but whatever the case he was grateful for the sense of peace it gave him.

"Did I ever tell you my mothers favorite bird was swans? She believed them to be one of the most beautiful creatures created by the Heaven's. She saw one once when she was younger. She said she and my father had been trying to have a child for years but where unable to. She claimed that once, unable to sleep, she went for a walk in the garden and came across a swan with a thorn in its wing." 

Namjoon smiled softly at the memory

Namjoon smiled softly at the memory. "She swore it was because she helped the poor swan that I was born, said I was a 'Swans Blessing'."

Jinie snuggled closer as Namjoon spoke again. "She would have loved you. Even her favorite story was about a swan. She would tell it to me every night. 

Long ago there lived a beautiful boy who was sought after by men and women alike..."

Jinie froze at the story, a deep sorrow overcoming him. He wanted to cry at all the bad memories the familiar story brought to his mind. Namjoon mindlessly continued to run his fingers over his feathers as he stared out the window, telling the story of the boy cursed to be a swan by a jealous and cruel warlock. The swan shuddered and nipped Namjoon's ear lightly, showing his displeasure at the story.

Namjoon turned his gaze to Jinie, who's head was buried in his wing. "Not your favorite I see. I didn't didn't like it at first either. I couldn't understand why she favored it, a story ripe with jealousy, hate, anger, the cursing of an innocent boy, but as I grew older I began to understand. All fairytales are riddled with such dark emotions, all ending in tragedy and sadness. But the boys story, his ending has yet to be written, therefore we can decide the boys fate, we can give him the happy ending he deserves. That's why she loved it I think." He smiled gently at Jinie who still hid in his fluffed up feathers. "Don't worry Jinie, I'll protect you."

Jinie raised his head, making eye contact with the king and nuzzled him beneath his chin.

******

Jinie watched as the last of the sun's rays completely disappeared behind the horizon, the pinks, greens and umber from earlier now purplish blue-black, stars beginning to sprinkle the sky. He fluttered up to the window, and with one last look at a slumbering Namjoon, spread his wings and flew away into the night.