Chapter Twenty Eight

This chapter is dedicated to WhiteYue who made awesome banners for 'Rules'. Thanks girly. Much love. :) 

Chapter Twenty Eight

She had never really meddled before. Well, at least, not frequently. Maybe sometimes? Alright, she meddled quite often, actually. However, Charlotte never dabbled in matchmaking before. As she sent the distressed Lorelei home that afternoon, Charlotte was determined to unite those two love birds together despite William’s possible disapproval. She highly believed that she could soften Will’s heart to accept Emerson as Lorry’s suitor and help him to overcome his age old grudge.

Smiling indulgently, Charlotte climbed the steps to her room. A plan was already unfurling in her head. The setting was to be the party hosted by the Duke later that evening, where Emerson was sure to be in attendance. Charlotte took seat on the plush chair before her bed, extracted her stationery and started writing.

The Duke of Hartington’s town residence was dubbed as ‘Lakeside House ‘despite it was located in the heart of London and stood nowhere near a real lake. However, the townhouse did possess an enormous back garden attached to it, where, a rather large man made pond could be found. Tonight, the Duke had generously offered to throw a dinner party in honor or the wedding that would soon take place. Charlotte arrived in the hand of her father and was greeted by Lorelei as soon she stepped inside the foyer.

“You’re here!” Cried Lorelei, clad in the prettiest shade of blue. Lorelei linked their arms together and steered Charlotte out of the vestibule. “Will hasn’t arrived yet, though.”

“Excellent.” Charlotte scanned the crowd surreptitiously. When the man she was anticipating to see was not anywhere to be found, only then, did she dared to ask Lorelei.“ I wonder: has Emerson arrived?”

“He has.” Lorelei answered. Her cheeks colored slightly, dropping her voice a few notches, she whispered, “I think he had locked himself in the library so that we would not cross path. Charlotte, what are you planning?”

“Heavens! Me?” Charlotte’s eyes widened in alarm. Her hand was fanning the air in excess exaggeration. “I am not planning anything! No, nothing at all.” Smiling genially, her eyes darted over to the hallway leading to the library. “I just need a quick word with him. Do alert me when William arrives, will you?”  

“I knew I could find you!” Charlotte’s voice bloomed within the impressive library the moment she opened the door and spotting a figure dressed in handsome suit, seated on a lounge chair. Emerson promptly looked up from his book. Charlotte strode into the wood panelled room. “Why on earth are you hiding in here for?”

Emerson rose from his seat, straightened his dress shirt and regarded her with a small smile. “Charlotte!” He called as he ambled close to bestow a kiss on her gloved hand. “How do you do?”

Charlotte smiled. “I’m excellent! Excellent, thank you. And you?”

Emerson gestured toward an empty seat, adjacent to the one he had just vacated. “Likewise.” Once they were seated, Emerson picked up his book and set it on the table. Charlotte managed to catch a glimpse of the title. It was an anthology of famous poems compiled by a renowned English poet. Charlotte’s smile widened considerably. Not only he was well mannered, considerate and possesses looks to die for – he was also well read! She could swoon! Emerson really was a perfect catch.

“You seem to radiate happiness. I take it that things had been sailing smoothly between you and William?” Emerson winked.

Charlotte beamed with pleasure. “Yes, it has.”