Chapter 1: Water Pressure

"Thanks, ma'am!"

Sweat had begun to pour down Stevonnie's arms, complicating their grip on the sword. This wasn't their sword, Rose's sword. This one was smaller, heavier. And it rubbed their hands all wrong. Blisters were coming.

This had been a rough session. Everything was a little off. The sword, their balance. They were starting to space out. Every breath, their reaction slowed a bit more. Stevonnie leaned on their back leg, panting, gritting their teeth against a headache that had long threatened to take hold. They couldn't stop now. Pearl was in a state of flow. It was dangerous to lose focus. And here she came, with the wind behind her.

That was some wind, actually. It drew a dampness to their eyes. The arena was some distance in the air, and the weather came quick here. Connie didn't know how this gem architecture worked. It wouldn't do much good to ask, either. Pearl would chalk it up to magic. Amethyst wouldn't know. Garnet... would be Garnet. She knew Steven wouldn't think to ask. But what was that, Clarke's law? Just because they called it magic...

Stevonnie's foot slid out from under them, just as Pearl's sword shone above their head. "Watch out!" they heard themself shout, as a clear pink shield spun into form on their outstretched arm. The saucer would stop the oncoming blade, but nothing would stop their arm below. They had no time to brace before their wrist met their jaw and their tailbone met the rough, wet floor. Before their skull met a divot in the rock.

The next seconds were an eternity. There was a thud, but no pain as yet. There was the taste of metal. The sound of wind and steel was replaced by a high-pitched whine, and somewhere in the distance the muffled panic of a lost, defective pearl. Stevonnie tried to suck in air, but it wouldn't happen. They tried to move their legs, but they might as well have been Pearl's. As darkness ate at the edge of their vision, Stevonnie found a gulping breath. And then they found pain. It was hard to know what to notice first. Their face, their back, their head, their arm. Surely something was broken?

Pearl's storm of words had begun to take on meaning. It was the tone Stevonnie heard before the sounds themselves. She was sorry, she was concerned. No, she was terrified. Mostly about her own failure, but also about their well-being. "Stevonnie," Pearl said. She used their name. That was nice. They were an actual person now. Now she said it again. Maybe it was time to figure out what was happening.

With a groan, Stevonnie turned their head. "Man, ha, ha." Wow, the pain was unbearable. This was something else. "Pearl, can we stop now?"

"Yes! Yes, Stevonnie, training is over. We're done." The panic had begun to drain from Pearl's voice, replaced by something like concern. She reached down to Stevonnie; wrapped an arm beneath their shoulders. "I'm so sorry," she said. "If only Garnet were here. I had no idea this storm was coming."

That had been quick. The arena was now a rink of mud and moss. Twice Stevonnie tried to stand, and twice their foot skidded in the muck. A shiver ran through their frame. "No, Pearl." Stevonnie had to pull away from their teacher's aid. This wasn't working. "It's not your fault. This is just... it's an off day." Oof. Roll over onto hands and knees. Nothing broken, that they could tell. Slowly, slowly push up. Their legs wobbled, but they worked. "I'm sorry I lost my focus. We'll just, we'll try again later." Ow, this really wasn't good. "It's fine."

Pearl drooped like a neglected house plant. "Oh, well. All right then. If you're sure you're all right. Let's get you back to the Temple."

Yes, that was fine by Stevonnie. It was... fine. It was all fine. There would be days like this. It wasn't Pearl. It wasn't them. It wasn't anybody. It was just being... human. Mostly. With a burst of light, they were back in Steven's house. It was warm there, always so cozy. Maybe because it was so small. It was almost a cabin, really, built into the bedrock. Just the one split-level room, plus the bathroom. With plumbing. Hot water. Probably iodine. Steven didn't know. Connie had no clue what she'd find in there, but she knew what to look for. They were both too tired to be of help. Stevonnie had nothing to go on but instinct.