Chapter 2

"Grams is gonna kill me for ditching school but at least I get pizza out of it," I smiled and took a huge bite of my sausage and extra cheese pizza slice. Tyler laughed and threw a napkin at me.

"Use this magical object to clean yourself up. You eat like a pig!" He snorted at me as he carefully cut his pizza into bite size pieces.

"What grown man eats his pizza with a fork? You confuse me Donavan," I said as I wipped my face with the napkin he had given me. He snorted again and contiued sawing away at his pineapple pizza. I finished off my last slice of my pizza and excused myself to go to the restroom. Ty just nodded, his brow knitted in consintration as he cut his pizza. I gave a short laugh and picked my way through the crowded diner to the restrooms.

When I arrived, the bathroom was completely deserted. I quickly used the restroom and began washing my hands. Half way through my feverant handwashing, I heard the bathroom door open. I turned around and saw that no one was there. I shook my head and sighed. I tured back to the sink and looked in the mirror. It took every fiber of my being not to scream. Behind me stood the spirit of a girl, maybe a year or two older than me. She wore a dripping wet yellow sundress and her dark hair was woven with seaweed. A puddle of water was forming around her and her blue lips turned up in a slight smile. There was a ragged cut that spanned her throat and blackish blood oozed from the wound. She opened her mouth and gave a loud, inhuman shriek.

I covered my ears with my hands and closed my eyes, taking a deep breath. When the shriek died down, I moved my hands from my ears and looked up. The girl had move very close to my face, her pointed nose an inch from mine. She gave me a wicked smile and lifted a finger to my lips, silencing me before I could scream. I swallowed back a shout as she drug her nails across her own arm, carving a word into it. Help.

I turned and ran from the bathroom, leaving the spirit behind. I bolted out the back door of the diner and slid down the wall until I was sitting on the sidewalk. I burried my face in may arms as I heard Ty bust threw the back door. He sat down beside me and took my hand. We sat like that for a few more minutes before Ty cleared his throat and stood up. He took my other hand and pulled me to my feet beside him. We walked hand-in-hand back to the truck and hopped in quickly. Once we were on the road to my grandmother's house, Ty gave me a concerned glance from the corner of his eye.

"I would ask what happened but  have a good idea what did," Ty said quietly, focusing on the road ahead. I nodded and studied the dashboard quietly. Just above the radio, Ty had the Storm trooper bobble head I had got him for Christmas last year mounted on the dashboard. I smiled faintly to myself as we pulled into the driveway of my grandmother and I's small cabin. Ty jumped down from the truck and stalked over to my side where he opened my door and helpedme out, slamming the door shut behind me. We made our way the the front door and I took a deep breath and swung it open.

"I'm home Grams!" I called causiously to the back room. I heard a faint shuffling and watched at my grandmother walked into the room, he slippered feet barely lifting off the ground. She gave Ty a curious look and turned back to me.

"What happened?" My grandma inquired. Ty gave my hand a reassuring squeeze and I sighed lightly. I told her about the two spirits and how they saw me, how they could touch me. As I told my tale, Grandma had taken a seat at our dining room table, her small, wrinkled face content. Once I was finished, she gave a shaky sigh and took my hand.

"I was counting on that part of the gene skipping you," she huffed.

I gave her a confused look and asked, "Is there something you're not telling me?"

"Sort of. Like you, your mother could see spirits as well. When she turned sixteen, she instantly became visible to the spirits around her. She didn't leave the house for weeks in fear of running into another spirit. Soon, they started showing up at the house, banging on her bedroom door in the dead of night. That's when she met your father. Your father was well aware of the spirit world. He knew how to ward them off and how to put them to rest. Your mother hired him to protect her and they fell in love in the process," Grandma sighed.