Chapter 5

I browsed the clothing racks, searching for the perfect dress. Ty, Oliver, and I had headed to the mall right after school to get the shopping over with for the dance tomorrow. Ty had already picked out a tie and a tux and was now waiting for me to go try some dresses on. A pale green dress caught my eye and I grabbed my size and stalked back to the dressing room. I slipped inside and quickly threw the dress on.

It was strapless and fell just above my knees. The bodice consisted of mint green satin and the skirt was layered lace of the same color. I gave a last glance at the mirror and opened the door, revealing the dress to Ty and Oliver.

Ty's cheeks flushed and he gave me a big grin. Oliver's eyes widened and he stared at me, a faint smile playing on his lips. I looked down at my feet and gave a slight twirl.

"How do I look?" I asked.

"You look beautiful," Ty and Oliver said in unision. I laughed lightly and felt my cheeks burn. I quickly changed back into my school clothes and paid for the dress. As the three of us left the store, I pointed toward the food court.

"I don't know about you, but I'm starving," I said as I nodded towards a chinese restaurant.

"Of course you are," Ty laughed as we walked up to the short chinese woman running the cash register. We ordered and the woman's grey head disappears into the kitchen to get our food prepared. When she returned, she handed us our takeout bags and two fortune cookies. Ty paid her and she smile at us.

"Have a good day," She smiled and waved at us a we walked away.

We sat down in a booth in the center of the court and started eating. I poked at my chicken and frowned. "This does not look like chicken."

Ty laughed and ate one of my dumplings. "Maybe it's cat," He pointed.

I stared at him in horror. "That's terrible! You are an evil human being," I said and pushed the meat away and took his fried rice. I scarfed it down quickly and leaned back in my seat.

Oliver gave me an amused look. "How do you eat with chopsticks so fast?"

I smiled at him brightly and waved my chopsicks at him. "Years of training," I smiled.

He laughed and looked over at Ty, who was giving me an odd look.

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing, just," Ty shook his head, "It's weird only hearing one side of a conversation."

I frowned at him. "I know, sorry."

He tilted his head. "Sorry for what?"

"I don't know," I said honestly. "It just sounded like the right thing to say."

"You're so weird," He said and grabbed a fortune cookie.

"Oh please," I snorted and grabbed the other cookie. "You love me."

I cracked opened the fortune cookie and unfurled the fortune. I read it and stared at the words in shock.

Long time, no see Catalyst.

I looked around in confusion and ignore Ty's questioning look. I looked back down at the fortune and saw that it had changed.

Watch your back.

I dropped the fortune on the table and sat back. Oliver stood up and looked at the fortune curiously. As he read it, his expression turned grave.

"Come with me," He said.

I looked at Ty and plastered on a faint smile. "Sorry, I spaced out."

I pushed my chair back and stood up, grabbing the fortune and shoving it into my pocket. "I'll be right back, I have to use the restroom."