Chapter 7

I sat down at a computer and clicked the monitor on. The public library was almost completely empty save for a few people browsing the shevles. Since it was Sunday, the library wasn't going to open for very long so I decided to get straight to work. I opened Google and stared at the screen, contemplating on what to exactly I was searching for. The image of the scrawled word on my mirror flashed across my mind.

Do your research.

But on what? I decided to start with my ability. I typed 'Ability to see spirits' into the search engine and watched as hundreds of results flooded onto the screen. I scrolled down and clicked one at random. I started reading and found that none of the information applied to me. I tried three more links and found nothing. I decided to try one last link and a website called Clairvoyant Diaries popped up. As I read through the passages, I was astonished to find that I had experienced some of the same things that the girl had written about.

She had been able to see spirits her entire life. The difference between her and I was that the spirits could see her too, before her sixteenth birthday. As I read on, she also mentioned visions. Which I didn't get. So, I'm not a clairvoyant and I'm not a necromancer. I was running out of options and it was rather frustrating. I decided to give up on my search for now and thought about what else the message on my mirror could have meant.

Suddenly, Ty's voice rung out in my head. You don't even know him.

I tilted my head and slowly typed 'Oliver Everette' into the earch engine. A handful of links popped up and I clicked on a site called The Everette Massacre of 1809. I scrolled down and clicked on a link to a newspaper and my eyes widened in shock at the headline.

Oliver Everette: Hung For The Murder Of The Tanson Family

I heard sigh from behind me and I clicked out of the link and whirled around to face Oliver. His face was expressionless and his lips were pressed into a thin line. I jumped up from my seat and grabbed my bag, keeping my eyes on Oliver. My eyes flickered to the exit and I made arun for it, bolting out into the parking lot.

"Catalyst!" Oliver called and ran after me as I raced down the street. I made it to a deserted road with a forest on either side of it when I stopped to catch my breath. I knelt down by a tree and leaned against it, gasping for air.

"Catalyst!" Oliver yelled and dashed to my side. "Catalyst, are you alright?"

I curled against the tree and backed away from him the best I could. A look flashed across his eyes but it ws gone before I could figure out what it was.

"Go away," I said quietly after I caught my breath.

Oliver took another step towards me. "Please Catalyst, let me explain," He pleaded.

I shook my head. "No! Why didn't you tell me?"

He cast his eyes to the ground. "You would have never listened to what I had to say."

I jumped to my feet and stalked over to him, putting my face inches from him.

"You killed my ancestors!" I yelled.

"Not," Oliver said, taking a few steps backwards from me and hanging his head, "just your ancestors."

"What did you just say?" I snapped, taking a step forward.

Oliver lifted his head and met my gaze. "I've been killing off members of the Tanson family for almost two-hundred years."

I stumbled backwards and feel to the ground, tripping over a stone. Oliver made a move towards me but I heald up a hand to stop him and hauled myself to my feet.

"Why?' I asked shakily.

"Cat-," He started.

"No!" I cut him off. "Answer the question!"

Oliver sighed heavily and motioned toward a stump. "You might want to sit down."

I glared at him and shook my head. "I'm fine standing, thanks."

"Fine," He said with another sigh. "The Tanson family and the Everette family have a very long history together. The Everette family had always hated the Tanson family. It was a fued that had started long before I was born. James Tanson, your great-great-great-grandfather, held a ball one evening and I snuck in. At the dance, I met his daughter. Annabelle Tanson," Oliver said, sounding wistful.

"She was beautiful. We fell in love in an instant. After a few months, I asked her to marry me. We went to James for his blessing and he was infuriated. He wouldn't stand for his daughter being married to an Everette. We ran away and got married anyway, in secret. Not long after, Annabelle found out that she was going to have a child. A few days before tha baby was to be born, her father found us. He said that the child's blood was tainted and it must be killed. Annabelle told her father that the only way she was going to let him kill her child was if he killed her with it...," Oliver spoke, a pained expression on his face. "And that's exactly what he did."

I let the words sink if for a moment. My great grandfather had killed his own daughter? My mind was swirling with thoughts and I opened my mouth to speak but quickly closed it when Oliver raised his hand to cut me off.

"I vowed that I would kill one Tanson daughter from every generation after I killed James and his wife and son. And I did just that," He said slowly.

I shook my head in disbelief. If this was true then that means-

I looked up at him, my hands in fists at my sides. "Was it you who started the fire my mother died in?" I asked, my voice shaking.

Oliver stared at me with a blank expression on his face. "Yes. I killed your mother."

I bit my lip to keep from crying but it didn't help. Tears streamed down my cheeks and my hands shook as I spoke. "And at the cemetery where we met. You weren't there to make a deal with me, were you?"

"No, I wasn't. I was there to kill you," He said slowly, his eyes on the ground.

"And why didn't you?" I asked, unable to keep my voice from shuddering.

"You look and act like her," He whispered. "You remind me of Annabelle."

____________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry it's so short guys! I got a bit of writters block while trying to write this chapter.

Comment what you think and leave a vote! Thanks for reading!