25

June 18th, 2016

9:35 am

"Okay, everyone remembers their positions?"

Everyone either mumbled an affirmative answer or nodded their heads.

"Alright, let's get to it then."

The sound of engines firing up erupted as Sam's wings extended from his pack. Red mist swirled from Wanda's fingertips as she propelled herself off the ground with Vision beside her. Sam joined them a few seconds later before the three of them flew off to the other side of the compound.

Steve, Lexi, and Natasha remained on the ground. Silently, they crept towards the chain link fence. 

"What do you see?" Steve asked Lexi. She had scurried up a tree next to the fence in order to get a proper view of the compound.

"There are a few guards outside, but other than that there's nothing going on. The gang must be keeping everyone inside."

"How many guards?"

"Four. It'll be a piece of cake to get by them." 

"Let's go then." 

Steve began climbing over the fence as Lexi carefully walked across the tree branch until she was far enough over the fence. She landed gracefully on her feet as Steve landed beside her. After a few more seconds, Natasha had climbed the fence and joined them on the other side.

Automatically, they all fell into position. Steve led the group with Natasha behind him and Lexi bringing up the rear. As soon as they were close enough, Steve launched his shield at the closest two guards, leaving the other two for Natasha and Lexi to split up.

Natasha launched herself over the closest guard, her sight set on the one closest to the door. Lexi slid down onto her knees and swiped her leg under the guard's feet. He toppled over onto his side which gave Lexi enough time to stand up and put a bullet through his chest.

"See? A piece of cake." Lexi commented as the three of them walked up to the door. Natasha casually leaned down to pick up the nearest guard's ID card and swiped it across the keypad to gain access to the compound without setting off any alarms.

As soon as they were inside, they simultaneously switched into stealth mode. Steve led the way with his shield raised. Lexi followed behind him to his right with her gun raised and her senses on high alert. Natasha followed slightly behind Lexi on Steve's left side. Her guns were also raised as she scanned different rooms and hallways.

Suddenly, Steve held up a fist. Lexi and Natasha froze in place before they peered around his broad shoulders. Ahead of them, another group of the gang was milling around in front of a door. 

Quickly, the trio ducked behind the nearest wall in order to scout out the situation. As they watched, the door they were all standing in front of was pushed open. A group of men in white lab coats exited. Between them was a gurney with what they could only assume to be a body hidden underneath the white sheet.

"Holy shit, Steve. Look." Lexi muttered before pointing to a flag that lay pinned against the wall. The doors slammed shut, but Steve was just barely able to see the infamous octopus symbol of the group he'd been fighting for decades.

"This makes things a little more complicated," Steve muttered quietly before he silently gestured for them to retrace their steps back towards the door they entered. 

"Sam, what's your location?" Steve asked through the comms as soon as they were outside.

"We're on the roof looking for the best way in."