Chapter 4:Preparation

We drive in silence for a while. Sinking in to our heads what had just happened. "So what should we do in terms of survival?" Kaleb asks finally breaking the silence. "I don't really know. A long term goal could be making a save haven like we've seen happen on TV shows. But to me that doesn't seem very realistic with the fact that most of the time something goes wrong. It's worth a try though considering we make it out of here first." I say. "Yeah I guess." Kaleb says before closing his eyes for a nap. 

     The drive that normally would only take thirty minutes is stretched into an hour and a half. I constantly stop and check my phone looking for as many back roads as possible to take. The main roads have drawn a lot of attention from what I can tell and I barely handled myself against a person in full control of their mind. From what I could tell at the school whatever was happening gave the things more strength than me and they did not feel pain. I don't know if they could be stopped once they were infected. Upon reaching the store I shook Kaleb and he woke abruptly. "We here?" He says. I nod at him before saying, "Be careful we don't know if anyone else is as caught on as us to the fact where they would need weapons and ammo. Let's be careful and not alert anyone that could potentially be inside." I say. He nods in agreement and we walk up to the store slowly. I grasp the handle carefully and open it slowly as to not make any creaks. Before opening it more then halfway I have a miny gasp and stop. "What's wrong?" He asks puzzled. "Nothing just go in." I say quietly. He steps inside and I move my shoe to act as a door holder as I slide in the building then looking up and seeing what I was afraid of. A bell almost in position to ring and alert anyone inside. Had I swung it open anyone inside would be alerted.

     Once Inside I look around. It was a big warehouse from the outside but inside it looked enormous. There were tables of various SMGs, LMGs, Assault Rifles, and pistols. "Wow so much stuff but there is a problem." Kaleb says gesturing to all the items that were protected by glass. "Find out what you want then we can use those batons on the shelf to break the glass and get only what we need. Take a look and I'll go in the back to get the ammo." I say. I walk over to the door that leads to where the ammo is held and as I put my hand on the doorknob I hear the sound of batons falling which indicated Kaleb accidently made them fall. As this happens the door I'm standing by is thrown open and I am caught off guard and fall to my feet. Before I stand up I'm kicked and roll over stomach to the floor. I groan in pain before getting kicked again in the head and being knocked out.

     My eyes slowly come open and I feel rope around my wrists and can hear Kaleb's breathing. We both must have been taken by surprise and knocked out. "Kaleb you up?" I ask quietly. "Yeah I am" Kaleb says not as quiet. Then I hear a familiar voice. "Out for ten minutes. You guys are so weak." The voice says. After a second I register it as my friend Melanie's voice. Kaleb recognizes it too and speaks, "What's going on why did you knock us out?" He says angrily. "Well we do like you both. I mean you are our friends but right now it's survival of the fittest and you guys have a car." Another voice i recognize as my friend Cydneys'. "Actually quite nice to find you in a gun store. We get guns and a car. Killing two birds with one stone. Also we can use you to get out considering we just shoot a couple times in the air and whatever those things will come killing you both and they will most likely stay here preventing others from getting access." Melanie says. As she speaks I wriggle my hands and notice the knot is lose. So a positive thing is she doesn't know how to tie someone up. I hold on to the ropes and bide my time and look around as Cydney walks around smashing glass for guns and putting ammo into two big duffel bags. I start to think.

    After a while Cydney nods to Melanie and she shoots in the air a couple times. Soon after I hear moans from outside and Melanie has a look of worry on her face. "Shit they must have already been around here. Get the door open and lets go put the guns in the other bag first though before opening." Melanie says and retrieves a machete from the counter and walks towards me. She unsheathes it and looks at me. "I'll give you a little cut that way they will come for you." She says. As she moves towards me Cydney goes to open the door. Thats when time slows down. I look over my shoulder to hear a scream and the things piling in catching Cydney by surprise. As she does this I see she gets dogpiled. I turn back towards Melanie and drop the rope because I had undid it while she was talking and I tackle her. This all happening very slowly to me. As she falls to the ground I get on top of her and quickly give two quick jabs to her face and one right hook knocking her out. I take her knife and kick away my chair and cut open Kaleb's ropes with one slash. He stands up and looks at me and nods towards the bags. He grabs one containing the guns and the ammo and I grab the other ones and throw them against a wall by a window. I run over to the chair I picked over as I hear Cydney scream. I turn to her and see the things coming for me. I decide I have no time and rush over to Melanie. I take the gun out of her hand and the machete and holster and hurry and shoot the window closest to Kaleb. "GO" I scream and he throws all the bags out the window and hops out. I run after him and jump out the window gun and knife in hand. Quickly I strap the machete to the side of my lower part of my leg and pick up two bags Kaleb grabbing the other two and we make a dead sprint for the car. Thankfully the things went inside and we open the doors to my car throwing the bags into the backseat. Kaleb and I get in and I pull out of the parking lot and out onto the street taking the back roads texting Kat to meet us at Harwood.