Chapter 2: I'm fine

"Rogers? This is Fury, may I come in?" Fury knocked on the door, placing his ear gently on the door.

Steve stood up and wiped off the tears he shed. He looked in the mirror to make sure it was not obvious that he cried.

"Yes Fury sir. In a second." Steve replied in a deep voice, looking at himself again in the mirror once more.

"Captain Rogers, I believe you're feeling confused and lost... But I just wanted to tell you that if you need someone to talk to, I'm here. I'm sure the Avengers will also be glad to be of help." Nick Fury, the director of S.H.I.E.L.D, said, smiling kindly at Steve, nodding his head to assure him.

"I appreciate your kindness Mr Fury but I'm sure I'll do just fine by myself." Steve said, hiding the pain that was piling up in his already shattered heart.

"If you say so, Captain... And update me when you're ready to meet the crew. But first, I'd like to introduce Agent Carter to you." Nick replied, signaling the agent behind him to enter the room.

"Carter?!" Steve's face brightened for a moment, hoping that it was Peggy.

A slim and fit woman, slightly shorter than Peggy then stood before him, smiling brightly. Steve's face dimmed a little.

"Well, I'll leave him to you now, Agent Carter." Nick said, exiting the room, leaving the both of them behind.

"Captain Rogers, it's an absolute pleasure to meet you. I'm Sharon, Sharon Carter." Sharon said kindly, stretching out her hand, wanting a handshake.

"Steve Rogers... I suppose you already know my name..." Steve said, smiling awkwardly, stretching out his hand to shake hers. He was not use to talking to females, so he was unsure of what to do.

"Haha, indeed I do. I also know that you dated my Aunt... Peggy Carter?"

Sharon giggled upon seeing his awkward reaction.

"Yes... Peggy..." Steve said, looking down at the floor board. Her face flashed into his mind as his heart started to ache again.

"Oh... Oh gosh, what have I done... I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to mention her." Sharon spluttered out, realizing her mistake.

"No, no... It's fine... I'm fine. I can't keep hiding the fact that I miss her forever can I?" Steve admitted.

"It's alright, I'm fine." A fake smile spread across his face, trying to hide the pain he had upon hearing her name.