Chapter 23

I managed to sleep through to the next feeding. When I wake up, the babies are gone and I can't see them in the nursery either. I gather myself up, heading out to the kitchen and great room. There I find my babies, my husband, Steve, and Bonnie along with Nanny. They are being fed by Bonnie and their Pappa. 

He looks up and notices I'm observing them at a distance, "Good afternoon my love. Are you feeling better and rested?" 

I nod. "What's for brunch? I'm a little peckish?" 

Nanny pipes up, "I have a quiche in the oven almost ready." I smile at another of my favorites being served. 

"Nanny, let me help you get everything ready for us. Tell me how I can help you?" 

She shakes her head, "No, no. I have it under control. You sit at the bar and rest while I get it ready to serve." I have to say, Nanny is a superb gourmet cook, French-trained. She is absolutely the best nanny we could have ever hoped for, I'm so thrilled to have her. She plates up the brunch and takes them over to the table. 

"Nanny, please, let me help you." 

She shoots me that look, "No ma'am, I am capable of doing this by myself." Okay, she's not letting anyone help her, she likes to be busy and in charge of things. I slide off the bar stool and head over to the babies. 

Bonnie looks up at me with 'her look'. Good lord, I feel like I'm persona non grata. Bonnie has Ethan and Pappa has Violet who shrieks with excitement when she sees me. Poor Pappa bear, I know this is hard on him when she does that. Instead, I make over Ethan because he is closer to me than Violet and she needs to be with her Pappa right now. I just talk to her and neither of them is going to relinquish either baby to me. 

Nanny announces brunch is served. Both of the twins are finished eating, been burped and their sleep drug is kicking in. Nanny comes rushing over to take Violet from her Pappa. He shoots her in his side eye. 

"Oh for Pete's sake. Everyone, please stop with the looks. Just put the babies in their twin pillow to sleep and let's eat brunch." 

I get up and go over to the table, sitting down to eat. Steve is right on my heels and sits next to me. 

"G, are you feeling better?" He asks concerned and I take a deep breath.

I nod, "I'd feel even better if it wasn't a battle to see who is going get to feed the babies. You know there's a schedule for who gets to do it and when. I only get to ½ the time. I didn't see your name on the schedule, did you opt out?" 

We both get a good laugh, "No G, I was just left out." I get up and go over to the fridge where the schedule is, "Steve, there's an opening for the next feeding. Do you want me to pencil you in?" 

By now, my husband is behind me wrapping his arms around my waist, "Babe, it's your turn for the next feeding. You don't want to feed them?" With concern in his voice.

I lighten the mood, "Well, there's two, I'll share with Steve. I can feed one and he can feed the other one. We don't want him to feel left out, do we?" 

He buries his head in the back of my neck, chuckling. "Mama, I get it. Of course, Steve can feed one of them if he wants to. You're right, this is not a contest but we are making it one." Kissing my neck and stirring my senses. That man can make me so hot without even trying.

I flip around to face him, quickly he presses my lips with a slow, hot kiss. Nanny is doting over the babies, making sure they are snug in their pillow but shouts orders, "Your brunch is getting cold. Go eat!" 

Okay, here we go, "Nanny, come to eat with us. You need to eat too. Those pocket snacks are not enough." 

I move over to the bar, standing there waiting for an answer, "Ma'am, I already ate a cheese sandwich. I'm not hungry."