30: an abandoned doll

I left early that morning, leaving a note for my grandmother and mother. It wouldn't have mattered if I stayed anyway; I'm sure they would've told me to dress warmly, to clear my mind, and keep my eyes open — the usual.

Since I was much too small to fit into any of my grandmother's clothes, I opted for my school uniform, which I'd washed the night before. But I had to borrow a jacket, snagging a puffer. It was obviously oversized on me, but it was, after all, a trend nowadays. Not that I cared too much, though.

So now I was on the train again, waiting until the end of the line. As each stop came by, an hour passing quickly and melding into the next, more people departed, leaving the car I was in as empty as I'd remembered it was.

Pulling my legs up to my chest, I tucked them inside of my jacket, wrapping my arms around them and resting my chin on top of my knees. It was still somewhat cold even though the train did have the heating on. My fingers were like blocks of ice, my face numb. Everything felt bitter all at once, a heavy feeling settling at the pit of my stomach. If I said weather didn't affect my emotions, I wouldn't be telling the truth. In all honesty, I just wanted to curl up in my bed with some hot tea, read a book or do my schoolwork.

Maybe have Raphael sit next to me since he didn't feel the cold.

"Don't leave me."

A small whisper echoed through the empty car, reaching my ears in a perfect whisper. It sounded like that of a younger boy — one whose voice hadn't broken yet.

I scanned my surroundings again, finding the entire place empty. There was no one else sitting in any of the seats and no boy to be found at all. But I couldn't ignore the voice. I knew that if I did, it would just be a mistake on my part; there were too many warning flags popping up in my mind that told me this probably wasn't a human boy, but perhaps some otherworldly creature.

My hand slipped into the pocket of my jacket, fingered the talisman that were there.

"Please don't leave me." The boy repeated, the words growing in desperation.

I felt myself seize up a little, my muscles taut from not only the cold but also the distinct eerie atmosphere that emanated from the train's car, curling up around the metal bars, shimming its way from one plastic seat to the other. And I was in the middle of it, one single figure isolated in this place. Although it was morning, the sun had yet to break past the horizon. It was still dark; a prime time for creatures to come out of their usual hiding spaces.

Whatever this was, they were about ready to come out.

As if on cue, something dragged across my cheek, the texture of worn cotton fabric scratching across my skin. I gasped, startled, immediately whipping my head to the side where I thought the movement came from.

But there was still nothing there — just the same emptiness of the car, the digital numbers of its clock blinking back at me in neon orange.

I swallowed, getting up from my seat, turning and gingerly taking a step back from where I was. I didn't respond to the voice; I didn't know whether it was waiting for me to say something to strike, or if I'd be at a disadvantage if I verbally acknowledged it. In any case, staying as cautious as I possibly could at the moment seemed like the best option I had.

The backs of my legs bumped into the chair behind me. My eyes flickered from one side to another.

Still nothing.

"Misstress, why did you leave me?"

I almost jumped, the voice suddenly loud and clear. Whatever it was, it was right next to me.