Chapter 2

My parents made me take the bus home from school.

I lived so close to the school, I could walk home if I really wanted to. I mean, it'd take me about ten minutes, but still.

My dad works during the day, so he can't pick me up. Today, my mom has to take my little sister Annie to gymnastics lessons, but on every other day of the week, she's free as can be. She just chooses not to pick me up.

Therefore, when the last bell of the day rung, I made my way to the bus-riders loading area and found my bus. Once I got on, I didn't even bother getting comfortable, considering I'd be at my house in a few short minutes.

I trampled out of the well packed bus and onto the street, walking through the lawn and pushing past the front door of my house as the bus drove away. I ran upstairs and into my room, throwing my backpack on the floor and flinging myself on my bed. A sigh of exhaustion escaped my mouth. Who knew one day of school would be so tiring!

My phone started to buzz from the side pocket of my backpack. I sat up straight and leaned over to grab my phone. Mom was calling me.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Kate! Hey, listen. There's a girl who lives down the street that I want you to meet; she's your age and goes to Lake West Mount Academy. I met her mother today, and when I mentioned you she said her daughter, Reagan, would be thrilled to meet you!" my mom said from the other side of the line.

"Sure... Oh, and mom! Guess what? I met this girl today who is really nice and super pretty. She seems like a great girl! And she's already invited me to-" I started, but then I was cut off.

"That's great, Kate, and I'm so happy you've already met someone. But could you go meet Reagan? She sounds so sweet and I'd love or you to get to know her. Her mom said something about her having friend issues this past summer... I think she's kind of looking for a new friend, you know?"

A friend issue this past summer? I wonder what happened...

I should probably go down and meet this girl. I know exactly how it feels to need a friend sometimes; I had been abandoned, back-stabbed, and most of my secrets haven't necessarily been safe...

"Alright. Should I go down now? Or should I wait for you? I don't even know where she lives," I told my mom.

"She lives in that big white house you loved when we were driving down her for the first time, remember?"

Oh yeah. That house.

"Yeah, I remember."

"Okay, well you should go on down there now. I don't want it to get to late... Dinner will be soon, but Annie's gymnastics class is running a bit late, which means I won't be home for another twenty minutes. Call me if you need me, okay?" she said.

"'Kay, bye Mom, love you," I replied, hanging up the phone.

I stood up and slipped on my Sperrys, leaving the house and walking to this Reagan girl's big white house, which was, thankfully, only a three houses down from ours.

I walked up the brick walkway and up to the front door, ringing the little circular doorbell. I waited patiently outside until a young woman's face, who I assumed was Reagan's mother, came into view through the glass of the door. She smiled brightly when she saw me.

"Hi! You must be Kate, who just moved in down the street. I'm Sonya, welcome to the neighborhood!" she said after the let me inside.

"Yes, thank you!" I replied. "Is Reagan here? I'd love to meet her."

"Oh, of course. She's probably in her room... I'll get her." Mrs. Sonya walked over to the staircase that was just down the hall.

"Reagan! Kate's here, the one I was telling you about?"