5.

"No, wait. What are you doing here? In New York? You said you were out to get food. You came all the way to New York from Boston for food?" I asked in disbelief.

He rolled his eyes and proceeded to wash his hands on the sink. "No genius. I moved here. Hence a trip to McDonalds this late at night."

"B-But you didn't tell me." I looked at him through the mirror and his green eyes just gazed right into my soul through the mirror. My breathing hitched.

"I did try to tell you. If only you weren't so happy about your date with neighbour boy." He sighed.

I blinked in realisation. So this was what he wanted to tell me when I just ranted his ears off the countless times? I was so stupid.

"I'm sorry." I pouted, suddenly feeling bad. I was already upset about the date and my irrationality just added to it.

Cole turned around and walked towards me, making me realise that I was really short in front of him. Almost tiny and I fell really self conscious because of that. Why did he have to be so tall and perfect?

"Hey hey. Don't beat yourself up for it. I'm here now and you know it, don't you?" I nodded. "Okay so you should go back to your date though I don't know why you were hanging out the ventilator of a gents' washroom." I glared and he laughed. "Which was funny but you should head back before he thinks you ditched him or something."

I laughed awkwardly. "Actually...I am trying to ditch him."

His eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Why? You were waiting for this day for so long."

"Yes but..." I sighed heavily.

"Hey what's wrong?"

"He likes my best friend." I mumbled.

"Amayah?" He asked, surprised.

"No. Ethan."

"He's gay?" Cole was more surprised now. I shushed him and leaned against the sink.

"This date is a disaster and for some reason, I can't face him anymore. He caught me thirsting over him and he's too sweet to reject my feelings so he took me out on my dream date except to crash it all down. I just wanted to get out of here." I said, my breath getting shaky. I think I had the biggest crush on Ronan because of how upset I was feeling right now. Tears were even pricking at the corner of my eyes.

"Fine. I'll get you out of here." Cole suddenly declared.

"What?"

"I'll help you get out. Come on." Cole said and then pulled me by the hand. We bumped into a man on our way outside and he gave us a weird look. Of course, we just walked out of a gents' washroom casually.

"Who's lover boy?" Cole asked, once we reached the corner of the wall. I forgot he didn't know how Ronan looked like. I leaned against him and pointed at Ronan at the far corner of the room. It was a good thing he was occupied on his phone.

"You can walk next to me. I don't think he'll be able to see you then." Cole said, looking down at me. "Specially since you're so tiny."

Scowling, I hit his arm making him chuckle. He looked happy. So was I. I never thought I'd be meeting him like this. This situation was weird but it all felt all so natural. Maybe a lot of weird things have been happening to me lately.

"Alright. Let's go." He declared and proceeded to move towards the door. I held on to Cole's jacket sleeve and made myself as invisible as possible and walked on his steps. I almost sighed in relief when I saw the exit door. Suddenly feeling bad for ditching someone as sweet as Ronan, I tried to take a peek towards him only to be shielded by Cole's broad shoulders. He looked down at me with a gentle warmth and smiled softly.

"From now on, I want you to look at me now. Okay?"

What he said, knocked the breath out of my lungs because I did not expect that. I never knew Cole was capable of doing that. I blushed a little and nodded as he led both of us outside and into the parking lot.

"Oh my God." I sighed heavily, closing my eyes and letting the chilly air cool down my head a little. I shuddered when I realised it was a little colder than I expected.

"You cold?" Cole asked, taking off his jacket.

"No. I'm fine. My house is just around the block." I said. My house was not just around the block.

"You suck at lying." Cole grinned before carefully placing his warm jacket over my shoulders. It smelt of pinewood and the lingering smell of cigarettes.

"Well...uh...thanks?" This was too awkward for me. I knew we talked on the phone like long lost buddies but I was never good at making normal conversations in real life. It always got too awkward for me when I tried. Like it was happening right now. Cole wasn't a stranger but seeing him in person and realising how he was not of my league made it more difficult to converse with him.

Cole just looked at me for a few seconds before chuckling. "You sound so awkward right now, I'm actually cringing internally."

"Well not my fault you caboozled out of nowhere." I scowled.

"That's my fault." He agreed. "But I didn't expect to meet you dangling out of a gents' bathroom ventilator. I thought we'd meet over a nice cup of coffee."

"Life is not always sunshine and rainbows is it?" I chipped in.

He grinned wide and suddenly lifted his arms up. I smiled too and walked forward until my cheeks were pressed tight against his chest while his arms were secured around me. I could get used to his hugs.

"It's nice to finally meet you, beautiful." Cole said, squeezing me a little tighter.

"It's nice to finally meet you too, ugly dickhead." I mumbled, a kind of familiarity spreading at the pit of my stomach. This felt natural. Even though it was our first time meeting.

The silence was comforting and warm. Something I was not really used to. But Cole just had to break it.

"You really are tiny."

I squirmed under his arms to hit him but he just laughed and tightened his hold, keeping me in place. Well, I guess I could really get used to his hugs.

-