Chapter 2: Defiant in Distress

Stan was rushed off pretty quickly

Stan was rushed off pretty quickly. Ford, Dipper and Mabel got into the Stanmobile and raced off to the hospital. As much as they wanted to come, Ford had told Wendy and Soos to shut the shack down early and look after the place and Waddles until they got back. Once at the hospital they raced into ER and asked about Stan's condition.

"I'm sorry Mr. Pines, things are still developing. I promise I'll let you know anything you want the moment I can," said the lady at the front desk.

As much as Ford wanted to barge in and demand to know, he did not want to make a scene and the look of distress in the twin's eyes held him back.

The three sat down in the waiting room. Dipper was still in shock. Everything had transpired so quickly that he had no time to piece it all together. He had walked into Stan's office to find him laying face down on the floor. The next thing he knew, he dropped the plate and was yelling his name. Then everyone came running. Had Stan had a heart attack? Or a stroke? Or worse?

The question gnawed at him but he had to remain defiant in distress given he could tell Mabel was pretty much broken and drowned in tears over what had happened. Though younger then her by five minutes, Dipper always protected Mabel fiercely. He was always there for her just like she was always there for him. He had to be the strong brother for his sister.

The old clock in the waiting room ticked by as patients came and left. 1 hour became 2, then 3, and so on. At least 4 hours had passed since their arrival. Ford sat up reading a newspaper. It was nothing he was into but it at least gave him something to read and pass the time with. Dipper and Mabel were asleep on either side of him, their heads laying on his lap.

The first hour was full of Mabel in tears and him and Dipper trying to calm her down. Dipper was telling him about what had happened and asking him hundreds of questions. Then the two read some magazines until they fell asleep about 2 and a half hours into the wait.

The twins sleeping on his lap made Ford feel calm during this time. They both looked so peaceful, free of any stress or suffering in the cruel face of reality. They were just kids after all. Deep in sleep one does not suspect it, but when you're a pair of adorable twins who have still not had their growth spurts, everyone will stop and give a little aw.

"Is their anyone here related to a Mr. Stanley Pines" said a voice.

Ford looked up from his paper. He saw a man in a white coat looking around. He assumed it was Stan's doctor, "Uh yes, over here, can...can you give me a minute" he said.

The doctor nodded his head. Ford gave Dipper and Mabel a light shake.

"Hey guys wake up; the doctor is here to talk to us about Stan" he said.

Dipper and Mabel slowly woke up. They were still a bit delusional as they got up but could make out what was happening and followed Ford.

Ford shook the doctor's hand. "Hello I'm Stanford Pines. I'm Stanley's twin brother and these are our great niece and nephew, Dipper and Mabel Pines" he said.