Chapter 9: Episode 9

(Timeskip to another night)

(Anemone's POV)

Knowing that it's a long weekend, I woke up, took a bath and changed.

I was braiding a section of my hair as I walked up to my window, only to look out and see Yui.

Concerned, I sighed, leaving a note for the brothers in case they enter my room.

Without hesitation, I jumped out of my window, landing gracefully, but although my ankle seemed to have sprained, I didn't care for it, speeding up my healing.

Soon we came to a church, maybe it's the one Laito found Yui in; it was dark that night, and I didn't enhance my night vision.

With a screech, bats flew out of the chapel and began harassing Yui.

Seeing Yui so terrified as she hid between her arms hurt my heart, so I couldn't help but help her.

Summoning a bow and arrows, I shot them down without sparing one.

Mortified, Yui crouched down to check on the weakened creatures.

"Anemone~chan, how could you hurt them? They're dying..." I was confused by Yui's words.

'Why is she upset with me?'

"They were bothering you, Yui~san... and besides, Seiji sent me here to protect you. I haven't done a good job so-" Yui cuts me off.

"But still! They're living creatures, it's wrong to hurt them..." Yui trails off, seeing the dead look in my eyes as tears streamed slowly down my cheeks.

"Sleep," I commanded, knocking Yui out without remorse.

Carefully, I dragged Yui over to the side of the building and left her there, contemplating why I still care for her after all this agony...

I entered the church to see Shu reading a music book; he's sitting on a ledge, leaning on the outline as his legs layout before him.

Shu didn't notice me, so I went over to him, finding his presence much more calming than Yui.

I sat beneath Shu, leaning against the ledge with my legs to my chest protectively.

I fell asleep in that position, remembering how I used to do this back when I needed to conserve warmth.

(Shu's POV)

I was barely reading, progressively boring myself to sleep when suddenly, my ears prick up.

Light, soft breathing or maybe, really cute snoring.

I closed my book and looked down to my right to find the source of the sound.

I found Anemone sitting in a fetal position, her head rested on her knees.

Suddenly, Anemone's brows furrow, and she shifts her head, revealing her tempting neck.

My throat went dry as I licked my lips.

I was about to reach out to Anemone when I stopped, my eyes widening as I remembered something...

'An... she's the one who saved Kim...'

I realized, and it all came back to me... but I didn't know... how.

"An, wake up," I ordered Anemone, watching as her feathery eyelashes fluttered open to reveal her jewel-like irises.

"Y-Yes, Shu?" Anemone stuttered awake, a light blush on her face as she kneeled before me, attentive.

My eyes narrowed, lifting Anemone onto my lap when we're loudly interrupted by Kim the... to be honest, I wasn't keeping count of how many dogs I've named Kimera.