Chapter Forty-One

"Did I hear wrong, or didn't you say these guys were your friends?" Claire whispered as the fae moved in closer, pressing in them.

"There is a chance things have changed..." Alek said quietly before holding up his hands to show that he meant them no harm. "I am Aleksandr Drosselmeyer, I've come to seek an audience with her majesty Queen Elysia of the Winter Wood."

"We know who you are, general," a voice rang out. Those gathered closest to them drew back and parted to allow the speaker to step forward. It was a young man who wore the most elaborate ear coverings that Claire had yet seen. They were gold leaves intertwined with silver and edged with glittering emeralds. They matched his clothing which consisted of a fitted tunic of forest green hemmed in gold filigree, and black pants which were tucked neatly into a pair of finely crafted, expertly tooled leather boots.

At his hip hung a sword, the hilt fashioned to look like silver and gold vines intertwining with one another. The pommel was a large emerald encased in a protective tangle of gold and silver.

He certainly stood out among rest who all wore white or varying shades of light gray and Claire had a feeling that was intentional.

"Prince Jarrah, it's been a long time," Alek replied casually.

"Indeed," the young man replied, his eyes sweeping lazily over the trio before, pausing only a moment on Claire before returning to Alek. "I take it that was your balloon we shot down?"

"Yeah, thanks for that," Draz replied, "keepin' us on our toes and all. Would hate for any part of this fiasco to be easy."

Jarrah frowned, looking towards Draz. "And you are?"

"Me? You mean you don't know the great... ah forget it," Draz said, throwing up his arms in defeat.

"I'm sure whatever reason you had for doing so is entirely justifiable," he said, shooting a glare towards Draz who simply rolled his eyes and turned away.

"How magnanimous of you," Jarrah said at last. "In fact, the reason we shot you down is because we sensed a darkness cross over in the same instance you passed into our lands. We assumed the two to be related, however," his eyes scanned over them again, this time settling on Claire, "I am no longer certain."

"I can assure you, your highness, no one here means you or the people of the Winter Wood any harm," Alek declared confidently. "We have something Elysia has been searching for, we wish only to see that it makes it safely into her hands."

"My dear sister has had need of many things ever since she got herself involved in human affairs," Jarrah stated, a hard edge to his words. He studied them all intently for a moment, and then let out a heavy sigh. "Dare I ask what it is that you are so eager to bring her?"

"You may ask, of course, unfortunately, it is not possible for me to answer," Alek said bowing slightly. "I humbly beg your forgiveness, but this matter is a delicate one and Elysia would be quite cross with me if I were to divulge it to anyone else, her brother included."

"You and my sister were quite close once, were you not? If I recall, she was rather fond of you, more so than any other human who has passed through these woods," Jarrah replied.

Claire heard a scoff and turned to see Draz scowling, his arms crossed.

Beside her, Alek stiffened and she reached out to take his hand in hers. The gesture seemed to catch him off guard because he looked down at her, his expression a mixture of surprise and alarm. For a moment, Clare thought she had done something wrong. She began to draw her hand away when his fingers tightened around them and he offered her a hint of a smile.