Chapter Forty-Three

Claire knew she had to do something, she just didn't know what. The pain in her leg had faded quickly, almost instantly once Sevik had slithered off back into the shadows. As a result, Claire found herself kicking at the bars with her heels and shouting as loud as she could, the sound echoing off the crumbling walls of the citadel.

Best case scenario would have her miraculously managing to kick one of the bars loose, worst case scenario she might shake off a little rust.

What she really hoped to do was attract attention.

At this point she didn't care who came, be it guards, Jarrah, or Queen Elysia herself, as long as someone came whom she could warn about Sevik.

When the bars gave no indication of giving way, and it became apparent that no one was coming despite her best efforts, Claire gave up. She slumped back against the bars and let out a little scream of frustration.

"Think, Claire, think," she muttered out loud, "there has to be something you can do."

She was still considering her options when a soft swooshing sound rose around her. It grew louder and louder until it was all she could hear. Her first thought was that it was bats, and then she thought maybe some sort of night bird for the sound reminded her of dozens of fluttering wings.

Pulling herself up, Claire tried to make out the source in the darkness. When something swooped in close, she let out a sharp cry of surprise and fell backwards, the cage rocking in response. It was then Claire realized there wasn't any sort of animal, but the cards.

She had forgotten all about them in the chaos that ensued after coming through the shimmer. She watched as the cards zipped about, flickering like fish through pools of silvery moonlight. They were assessing the situation, at least, it seemed that way to Claire.

The cards continued to dip and swoop until one fluttered through the bars and landed face down in front of her. Curious, Claire picked up the card and turned it over. On the other side was a picture of a simple brass key.

"Very clever," she stated in exasperation, looking out towards the cards that were still circling the cage. "A key would be quite-"

A warmth against her palm drew her eyes downward just in time to see the card fade away, the small brass key resting in her open hand.

"Apologies for doubting," Claire muttered.

Curling her fingers over it, she hesitated.

What would a key to that particular lock be doing in a deck of magic cards?

Deciding that the cards themselves had never steered her wrong in the past, Claire reached through the bars and felt around for the lock.

It took a minute or so, and when she did finally find it, she nearly dropped the key in her haste to get it open. Claire managed to get the key into the lock on the second try and it turned with a soft, easy click.

Deciding it was best not to question it, Claire slipped the key into her pocket and pushed the door open.

As she considered her situation, Claire realized she was still suspended roughly seven feet in the air, give or take a little. She supposed it wasn't that far of a drop if she extended herself downward before letting go of the bars.

"You've jumped the cars of a moving train, you've survived torture, and you lived through a hot air balloon crash," Claire muttered, attempting to motivate herself. "You got this."

Taking a deep breath, Claire tried to ignore the nervous flutter in her stomach as she climbed through the opening and slowly began to lower herself down.