Chapter Twenty-Two

When they arrived in the foyer, Claire spotted Arabella almost immediately. She looked absolutely resplendent in a gown of dark green velvet trimmed with gold. Like Claire's gown, the bodice was fitted, tapering at the waist before flaring out just below her hips. Her hair rose upwards in an elaborate array of twists and braids held in place by gold hair pins with ruby and emerald tips fashioned to look like holly leaves.

It was the man beside her that gave her pause. With his back to her, the tall, blond haired gentleman could have been Algernon Pentworst for all Claire knew. When he turned around, however, Claire's eyes grew wide.

"Draz?"

"Is this some sort of joke, Haval?" Alek called out, his voice hard.

"Do I look like I'm laughing?" Draz replied, his tone caustic. He did not, quite the opposite in fact. Claire had never seen him look so downtrodden, not even when he found out about the dog sleds.

"He's my guest," Arabella replied with a sharp upturn of her chin, as though daring Alek to say something.

"Like hell he is," Alek replied without hesitation.

Claire saw Draz's shoulders visibly slump with relief. He looked ready to slink away when Arabella grabbed hold of his arm. "If you can bring a guest, then so can I. Draz is going."

Draz looked towards the both of them, shaking his head rapidly, his expression one of desperation. Ara shot a glare in his direction bringing his silent protests to an abrupt stop.

Before anything else could be said, Ms. Avery appeared carrying a deck of playing cards in one hand and a board for backgammon in the other. She stopped when she saw them all standing there, her gaze finally settling on Draz.

"What's this? I didn't realize we were dressing up for a few hands of Old Maid," Ms. Avery declared looking flustered.

"I do apologize, but Draz won't be able to join you tonight, Ms. Avery," Arabella announced, "I've borrowed him as I need a gentleman companion for the ball this evening."

Alek snorted and shook his head.

"Oh I see," Ms. Avery replied looking a bit crestfallen.

"As I was just telling my sister, Draz was not invited, so Draz may not attend," Alek insisted.

"And for once I agree with Mr. Tightpants over there," Draz admitted earning himself an elbow to his stomach for all his troubles.

"Odd, the invitation allowed for a guest per attendee," Ms. Avery said thoughtfully, "unless Miss Arabella has another guest attending, there is no reason why Mr. Haval cannot."

"There! See? Now enough arguing, we're going to be late," Arabella said, pulling Draz towards the door. Alek sighed and shook his head. "That girl is impossible," he muttered. Claire smiled and leaned in close to catch his gaze.

"It runs in the family you know," she teased causing Alek to smirk and give her arm a little tug.

"Come on, we better go before Arabella comes back and herds us out the door like cattle."

The carriage ride took them out of the city and into the lush, snow covered countryside that made up the outskirts of Avala. The night was clear and the a nearly full moon hung low and heavy on the horizon, bathing everything in sight in a soft, silver glow. While it was mostly sloping hills and farmlands, they passed through the occasional clustering of trees, tall ash trees whose white trucks and silver leaves seemed otherworldly as they swayed in a gentle breeze.

Arabella kept up a constant stream of chatter, from young men she hoped to dance with, to what the other ladies might be wearing. Draz sat beside her, his expression one of resignation, his fingers repeatedly rising to adjust and pull at the green silk cravat around his throat.